Welding Cast Exhaust Manifold

The cast exhaust manifold seems to be a good quality cast iron, meehanite type material, can I weld a small (0.5" Dia) mild steel plug into it using a stainless steel rod or some other special rod?

David

Reply to
Mastic

What you do depends on where it is. If you can get a tap into the hole and tread it then a cold as opposed to a welded fill is safer, ie less likely to have distortion or cracking. Welding cast iron needs to be heated slowly to say 350 Deg centigrade then weld then cool slowly. much more effort thyan a cold way of doing it. Any chance of a picture? so we can advise better?

Reply to
Ted Frater

It does have a 1/2" UNF thread in the hole but I want to make sure the plug doesn't come out. I was machining off "Extra" metal to lighten it and found that I had machined off the EGR cast in port. I opened it up and taped it. I can take a picture if it really helps.

David

Reply to
Mastic

"Mastic" wrote: (clip) It does have a 1/2" UNF thread in the hole but I want to make sure the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ In that case, I suggest, as Ted Frater did, using a threaded plug. You could secure it with tie wire, or else just hit it lightly in a couple of places with nickel arc rod.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Get a 1/2in unf allenscrew and screw that in with exaust muffler repair cement in the threads. This will lock it in once its been run. Wont come out.

Reply to
Ted Frater

Why not just use an ordinary machine screw, grind it almost flush on both ends, and then peen it over a bit? That will lock it for sure and with little hassle.

For that matter you don't need a screw. Just drill a round hole to fit a piece of mild steel rod, and grind and peen that in.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"Ed Huntress" wrote: (clip) For that matter you don't need a screw. Just drill a round hole to fit a

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Ed, why go to extra trouble to remove a thread that going to help?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I haven't followed this closely so, if there is a clean thread to begin with, the answer is, you're right, there is no need. Just use an ordinary screw -- the cheaper and softer, the better.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Yes. Most manifolds are a nickel steel casting. Preheating with a rosebud (or in an oven) and tigging with stainless works pretty well.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca