What alloy is used in steel belted tires?

Those are known as combi patches. They perform the same function as separate plug and patch ... as long as the puncture is 90° to the inside surface. Otherwise, there is stress at the plug/patch junction. They are also more difficult to install at greater angles.

The angled puncture is one reason a lot of string plugs fail. Someone just starts the string in the outer orifice and pokes it straight in, making another hole inside the tire rather than following the puncture path. If the plug doesn't leak, they think they have repaired the tire.

But the original hole on the inside of the tire is open to air pressure. The air wicks along the cord and comes out where ever the weakest spot is. Or doesn't find an exit and causes a separation of the cord and rubber. The famous bubble.

--Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy--

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Haha! Now, there's a serious inventor.

It runs in my family, too. My uncle invented the single-seam insulation elbow (now a product of Johns-Manville) by twisting a Burger King styrene-foam container, while he was eating lunch, and tearing off the parts that he didn't want.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Its not rocket science , A rag radial is safer than a steel radial , its about ambulance chasing lawyers and liability .

Rubber and plastic have about same density and stretch , They bond perfectly to each other , They dont heat each other up ..they dont fight each other .

Steel does not stretch same , it comes unglued from the rubber

. Nylon and dacron dont come apart . .

Steel is a very bad idea in tires , its dangerous . Europeans arent as dumb at car stuff as we are They dont buy Chevys , we buy MB / BMW ...

But what if my 70 YO grandma runs over a beer can at hi speed ?

Charles Darwin said she should not drive

The future has no cars , we'll all ride trains .

Guess how many problems that will solve !

No DUI's ! No Liability insurance Ii quit driving in 2002 cause the crooked tyranical govt said perfect drivers like me ,must pay insurance .....

My premiums would help get killers back behind the wheel . It certainy would not pay for my accidents , as i dont have accidents ( 46 years driving )

To keep the respect of the people , a govt must make those who cause trouble in society , pay for that trouble .

They want me to pay for the bad drivers ...

Reply to
werty

[...]

werty wrote in article ...

Couldn't find anybody to cash a reality check for you, eh?

Reply to
*

werty wrote in article ...

Damn!

I guess that means I have to send my tire pyrometer off for re-calibration....

You see, I service a number of oval-track racers. Many of my customers are required to race on DOT-legal, street radials.

I have always noticed that the steel-belted tire treads tend to run a few degrees COOLER than the fiberglass/polyester/ fabric-belted tires.

One of my tire engineering friends suggested that the steel belt tends to keep the tread from squirming as much - ergo, less scuffing on the pavement, resulting in less heat generated.......

......but, what does HE know next to "werty"?

Can YOU recommend a better tire pyrometer for me? I "only" spent $300 on the one I currently use.

Long ago, I drove a 1955 Chevrolet......all steel. What's your point?

So, they'll steer good if I swap Left to Right? That's certainly good information to have.

But, I DO have power steering, so my vehicles ALWAYS steer as though they have power steering!!!!

How am I ever gonna' know when my tires "....take a set..." and how will I know how many sets they will take?

Reply to
*