What do you call a bench grinder fixture without the inline motor?

It's made of cast iron with holes to bolt to the bench top; its just a stand with bronze bushings (oil caps on top) for the arbor with a pully in the middle that you hook up to a motor behind. You can put a grinding wheel, wire wheel or buffer on either side. There are tool rests, but no wheel guards of any kind. I've got one and want to put it on ebay but haven't the foggiest idea what they are called. I've Googled and searched on Ebay every which way but can't find another one to compare it to. What are these things called? I'm sure its an antique.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Antique Grinder?

Gunner

Gunner

That may be as good as anything. We'll see what else people come up with.

Reply to
Lane

Antique???? That is no antique! I have one in my shop that gets a lot of use. Have a wire wheel on the left and a flap wheel on the right. Driven by a 1/3 hp motor, if I remember correctly. I built a moveable stand from an old swivel chair and have the motor below the "antique grinder". Belt goes through a notch in the table.

In fact it is the only stationary wire brush/sander in the shop.

Why not put is to use rather than sell it?

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

Yea it probably is an antique. I don't think you can buy these anymore. The liability lawyers wouldn't allow it.

I used to use it as my only bench grinder. Now I have two normal "electrified ones", one I got when Dad passed on and a bigger one from a garage sale for $5. I just don't need this one anylonger, nor do I have the room for it. I'm cleaning stuff out that I haven't used in 5 years.

Lane

Reply to
Lane

haven't the

The one I inherited says "Montgomery Ward" on one line on the decal and "Grinding Arbor" on the next. My grandfather used an old washing machine motor in combination with a wheeled sign frame from his gas station to mount it. It replaced his old hand-crank grinder out in the garage. Uses 6" wheels and has very cheesy guards and tool rests on it. It worked well enough to sharpen lawnmower blades, anyway. This one is a deluxe version, has ball bearings.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Thanks. Mine doesn't have any label or other identifying marks at all.

Reply to
Lane

I've usually heard them called a "grinding arbor" or "buffing arbor", or sometimes just "arbor". If you're really lucky, you can even find them with a chuck on one end, I assume for use with small grinding points and carbide burrs. Since eBay seems driven by search words more than actual descriptions, how about "belt driven bench grinder buffer wire wheel arbor"?

And no, I don't need one, I've got a couple of "Millers Falls" ones I need to mount one of these days...

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

As I recall (it was long time back) "Grinding Arbor" or "Polishing Arbor" defined the basic stand with shaft, pulley, and bearings. Such was used for open wheel grinding, wire brushes, and buffing wheels. Most had no guards at all.

When you added the wheel guards and grinding tool rests, you had a "Bench Grinder".

I doubt the nomenclature was highly standardized.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:54:11 -0700, the inscrutable "Lane" spake:

Lee Valley calls them "double-ended mandrels."

have a similar beast I'll turn into a horizontal mortiser some day. (Paid $2 for it at an Old Iron auction in Sandy Eggo.)

========================================================= What doesn't kill you +

you hurt more. + Web application programming =========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

agree, "arbor" is the proper technical term look it up if you don't agree

Reply to
william_b_noble

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show "Lane" wrote back on Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:54:11 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

If it is an antique, call it that "Antique Bench Grinder"

Otherwise, "belt driven bench grinder."

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Top posted to keep things interesting:

I bought one from Graingers last year (#6L099). They still list them in the catalog, but they are called Ball Bearing Mandrels. I call them Bench Arbors. I do wish the shaft was a little longer than 12", but it works just fine, driven by a (real) 3/4 HP motor.

Joe

Lane wrote:

Reply to
Joe