What filter/regulator for Bridgeport CNC mill

Just trying to finish the cleanup/repairs/EMC conversion.

The mill uses air for the following:

1) Brake Air Line A 2) Pneumatic speed changing motor Air Line A 3) Knee support to ease raising the knee Air Line B 4) Mist coolant unit Air Line C

What I want to do is, mount nicely a filter/regulator and an air manifold next to it, and connect all three lines (A,B,C) to the manifold in a workmanlike manner.

The manual specifies incoming air pressure to be 80 PSI, but is silent about CFM requirements (and the mister was not even a part of the package).

I have a small, cute little I-R filter/regulator/lubricator unit (very small in size), but it is only good to 18 CFM. See first column in the table on the first page of

My question is, would that be sufficient to run the mill in real life or not. I would hate to buy a new regulator, if it can be avoided.

Thanks

Ignoramus28169

18 CFM???? That's a LOT of air, like 5 HP! Normally, the mill will use VERY little air. The air motor for varidrive control only uses air when changing speed, and that little motor can't use more than 2 CFM or so when running. The air support cylinder, if not leaky, will use air ONLY when raising the knee, but you have to able to release air when lowering, so a relieving regulator is needed. The mister, if used, needs whatever air it requires.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The knee already has a relieving regulator, it is in fact an awesome system. I called ITW rocol for CFM reqs on the mister, it is not in the manual. Hopefully they get back to me. I would think, now, that 18 CFM shoud be plenty and I will see no impairment from the fact that this regulator is small.

Ignoramus28169