What is this collet?

My mill came with a set of collets. Not knowing any better I assumed they were "MT3" as the holder fitted into the MT3 spindle. Now I realize they are nothing of that kind. They look like the ER collets or more precisely the RDG/TG collets. However, I cannot identify their size. It does not fit anything in the catalogs.

Diameter=0.942" (23.92 mm) Length=1.773" (45.01 mm)

This has major implications if replacement is needed. BTW the set has 8 collets, 1/8 to 5/8".

Can anyone identify?

Reply to
Michael Koblic

From the diameter and length you gave Michael, it looks like they are officially referred to as non-standard Chinese (at least by this source in the UK).

Any time someone posts a collet chart or comparison guide (or machine spindle tapers), I try to remember to save a shortcut to it/them and put them in a metalworking collet info folder. I had more of them on my last machine, but here are the ones I have presently:

Wild_Bill

From the picture of the TG, I'd have guessed maybe Universal Engineering "acuraflex", but that OD doesn't jive with their sizes either...

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

I was thinking of the Universal DT Series of "Double Taper" collets. The old types are: WW X Y YY ZZ, etc..

I have 3 different size holders, but I can't remember which series they are. Go to this site to see them. I couldn't find dimensions on the site, but you can probably call their phone # to ask for dimensions. The problem for me is that my larger size is too big and my smaller size is too small. For the size in between, I have only one collet and it is in a dedicated setup, so I don't dare tear it apart right now.

It would be important to know if this a new mill or an old one. The name might help. If it's a new Asian mill, then forget that I said anything at all.

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
spaco

Spot on, these are the ones! Someone else sent me the link simultaneously. This appears to be the only reference available. Like anything else, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. A mill on sale with collets? I should have known there would be a hitch. I guess as long as they are working, fine. If one breaks it's off to the shops for an ER32 set...

I have a few of these references, too. Needless to say none of them acknowledges the existence of "Non-standard Chinese collets" :-)

Reply to
Michael Koblic

How much trouble would it be to cut the chuck for the next larger collet type?

Reply to
RB

I would not know where to start.

Reply to
Michael Koblic

Anyone needing their spindle reground to a new taper have a look here, and maybe call Wells-Index.

ebay Item number: 120319285980

That auction is for a B&S #9 to R8 conversion. They say they can do others.

My only connection is that I own an Index vertical mill and bought a riser block from them. Nice to deal with a machine tool maker that is still in business.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy