4 X 6 bandsaw modification

Some years ago there was an article [in HSM I believe] about putting a special hydraulic cylinder in place of the downward pressure spring. Can any one tell me what issue this was in or where else I might find this article?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

Good Evening A reprint of that article is in:

Metalworking #3, Projects in Metal, page 26.

This artical was originally in Projects in Metal mag. in 1992-93

A search of the Projects in Metal section of

villagepress.com

should get you the pub. issue and date

Good luck

Bob rgentry at oz dot net

Reply to
Bob Gentry

I've seen a couple of the downfeed cylinder modifications online, Chuck, but I don't recall where now (it's been at least a few years).

I think one was done with an inexpensive cylinder from Surplus Center. The basic system is a check valve to allow free travel to lift the saw portion, and a separate restrictor circuit (needle valve, etc) to allow the operator to adjust the rate of descent.

I'm thinking one method was definitely done with a real hydraulic cylinder, but one method may have been done with a pneumatic storm door closer (although it's kinda unclear now). I can't recall if the hydraulic version used a double-acting cylinder for sure, but I think it was.

I think the only issue with mounting the hydraulic cylinder was to install it in a position so it would self-bleed or stay bled so air doesn't get into the oil side. It seems that the hydraulic cylinder may have been mounted with one end lower than the saw base, not in a nearly-horizontal position like the original spring location.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

An extremely simple kludge is to use a moveable weight. There is a handy ridge on the top half of the blade support casting. The posiion of a 4 kilo weight rested on this gives a very useful simple variation of downfeed pressure.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid