What is this object?

Hi,

I think this newsgroup is probably the best place to try and work out what this is.

It was found on landfill in the UK, there were lots of them, and they look familiar, but I can't place where.

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Can you scratch the tip (the part with the darker color, unrusted) with a file?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Not sure but I'd guess it is part of some heavy construction machinery. Probably a replaceable point from some excavating attachment.

Fred

Reply to
ff

Yes, Fred is right. Take a look at this website:

they are clearly shown on the drum.in the 2nd photo from the top. Jim

Reply to
Jim & Hils

It is a replaceable bit used in motorgrader blades, trenchers and a host of other equipment. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

The tip seems to be a different type of metal than the body. The base/shaft seems to have a locking collar to hold it into something. I'd guess some sort of a drilling tool for stone or mining of some sort - is it that kind of an area? I bet if you spark-test that tip you'd find it's something interesting?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Carbide cutting tip for an asphalt-concrete pavement grinder or 'profiler'. They use them to grind the old road flat and undercut the edges at the curbs before laying a fresh layer of asphalt on top.

Or a 'rock wheel' trencher, looks like a huge circular saw to buzz a trench in sandstone or shale for water mains and other utility lines. WARNING: You have to know where all the other underground utilities are when using this machine, because if you find them with the wheel the results will not be pretty...

(Not me, but a true DAMHIKT. Pacific Bell told the trencher operator not to worry - their trunk lines were in old clay ducts 8' down, and the cross-cut trench was set at 5' to leave plenty of room. They were really at 4' down, and the trencher neatly sawed through a half dozen 3600-pair cables... Let the finger-pointing commence.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Reply to
RoyJ

Look like the teeth for a a pavement chewer.Roto-Mill is another name for it.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Tooth from a pavement milling head or a trenching machine Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Something like that happened to an old neighbor...

Maynard's farm had two driveways about 200 ft. apart. He needed to replace the culverts under them. Knowing the phone trunk line was buried in that ditch, he called the phone company to locate and mark the cables. Then, they took a backhoe to the first driveway. And dug through the cable. And shut off long distance service to two counties. Two days later, they had the cable spliced. Maynard, of course, insisted they double check their marking of the other driveway. They insisted it was correct. And, yup, the backhoe cut through the cable again about eight feet from where the phone company said it was...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Yep... I tried filing it, which did virtually nothing, then gave it a go on the bench grinder... very few sparks, and very short. I guess this is a sure sign of it being tungsten carbide. A fairly hefty bit of it as well.

Thanks for the quick responses, my mind is at rest now. I'm sure there are a few more weird objects I can dig out...

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Tierney