What's a T&P valve for?

I would bet that in most cases a hot water line would fail before the tank, especially in the supply line to faucets which are rubber hose, skinny metal, or plastic.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I don't know that "most" utilities have an antisiphon valve. I don't know that "most" utilities have any restriction. In fact, I don't know what "most" utilities do. But I know that there are utilities in various places that have no restriction in the incoming line. And if there are no restriction then then a T&P valve is just another possible failure point.

But obviously if there are backflow preventers of any kind, you would be foolish to not have a T&P valve.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I didn't assume electric, I specifically mentioned what would happen with electric and what would happen with gas.

Of course electric elements in water heaters burn out. Why do you think the manufacturer's instructions always caution you to fill the tank with water before turning on the power?

Certainly some do, what is your point? No backflow preventers in my lines, In fact, I don't believe I have ever lived in a house that had a backflow preventer at the city, county, or whatever water line.

I think I covered that!

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Where's that?

Does your insurance company know about this?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen