what's my arbor?

Disclaimer: I know very little about machining.

I have a rough-sawn hunk of brass about 1"x2"x3" that I would like to face mill (on the 1x2 face) in order to get it smooth and square, partly because I'm too lazy to do it with a file and partly because I'd like to learn from the experience.

I have a Jet mill-drill. The Jet takes an R-8 arbor. It came with one arbor that fits a drill chuck that it also came with; and it came with a big face cutter bit, about 2.5" in diameter with replaceable inserts, that looks like just what I need. But, it was a demo unit missing some parts, including the arbor that fits the cutter bit. The bit looks like it is supposed to slip right onto an arbor: it has a hole in the center, rather than a shaft to put into a chuck. The hole is larger than the hole in the drill chuck; the arbor that fits the chuck definitely does not fit the cutter.

The hole in the center of the bit is 25/32" in diameter, at least on the side I can measure, which is the side away from the cutting face. Can anyone tell me what kind of arbor I need, to use this cutter? Or would I be better off just throwing the cutter away unused, and buying an arbor and a cutter of some known size?

I've put pictures of the bit in question at

and
in case that helps explain what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

Reply to
Walter Harley

What you need is a shell mill arbor as shown in the above link. You need to measure the hole a bit closer to find the correct arbor. You most likely have a 3/4" hole but it could be metric. Do you have a piece of 3/4" shafting you could slip into the hole? lg no neat sig line

"
Reply to
larry g

Bingo, that's exactly it. Thanks.

With my digital calipers, the hole measures 19.96mm, so 20mm would be a good guess. (Yes, I know that a 20mm shaft shouldn't fit a 19.96mm hole, but I also know that calipers are not the most precise way to measure the ID of a hole.) It is definitely larger than 3/4" (which would be only 19.05mm). Is that fit critical, or does the screw center it and hold it in place?

Reply to
Walter Harley

The fit is extremely critical. However..that being said..its likely you can turn a bushing to fit a standard 3/4" shell mill holder. Assuming that the drive dogs are the same size or smaller than the slots on the back of the shell mill

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

What Gunner said. Shell mill arbors typically have a large screw that holds the cutter in place. It's very important that the cutter be driven by intimate contact with the driving dogs (keys) and that it not be a sloppy fit on the arbor. Otherwise it can shift on you while cutting and lead to some very unpleasant happenings. If, by chance, the cutter will fit the arbor, but will be a lose fit with the keys, be certain to load it against the driving side so it won't turn until it hits the keys while cutting.

I commend you on your good understanding on how calipers are not to be used for precision measurements. They simply are not precise enough for serious measurements.

Good luck!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Thanks, but you're too kind. I'm sure a competent machinist with appropriate tools could; but I don't own a lathe, nor any lathe tooling for the mill/drill. Nor do I have the skills to use them properly, I'm afraid. I did some machine shop work as a teenager, but that was a couple of decades ago.

Reply to
Walter Harley

Try this:

Phil Teague

You do know that with a bit of ingenuity, you can so this sort of work on the mill..using it as an impromptu lathe of sorts.

Hell...send me the shell mill and the holder and Ill turn you an adapter for free. Just pay the shipping and Ill fix it up for you. Ive got other shell mills also I might be able to toss in the box on the way back to you also.

Lots of folks have helped me out a time or 4, so Ill be happy to pass it along.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

That's an amazingly generous offer. I'll contact you in private email to follow up. Thanks!

Reply to
Walter Harley

I didnt think to ask..is that R8? Im in Reliable Tools a lot and run into lots of R8 shell mill holders (and shell mills etc etc etc. If you cant find what you need, drop me another email and Ill scarf one up for you. I can often get the "Brother in Law" discount on that sort of stuff.

Just be advised..that a lot of the small mill drills are really not rigid enough to do much hogging with a shell mill. You may..may be better off using a end mill followed up by a fly cutter if you are looking for a nice clean finish.

Shrug..but Im at your disposal.

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

R8, yep.

I'm only taking off enough to smooth a hacksaw cut: about a sixteenth of an inch. And it's brass.

Reply to
Walter Harley