what trade would you guys recommend for a teenage boy?

A voice from the past said...

the
ass!
Technicians?
Well I may speak like an MIS type, but I ain't one! I am a communications guy, radio mostly. In case you haven't noticed, the telephone companies are looking more and more like big data networks. And radio systems? ...yup, you guessed it; the future is "voice over IP" so even radio systems are starting to look depressingly like data networks.
Vaughn
Go in the service.
See the world.
Get some life experiences.
Get some training.
GET THE BENEFITS ! ! ! ! !
GET THE BENEFITS ! ! ! ! ! ( Sorry, but I felt that needed repeating.)
Take the training, and do something with it when he gets out.
Take the benefits and go to college when he gets out.
Just take the benefits the rest of his life to help whenever he can use them to get a house, get medical, etc.
A few years in the military are like money in the bank. But, like money in the bank, you have to put it in to take it out.
Steve
I thought about the military. I just can't see this kid saluting some officer, though. He has a real issue with arbitrary authority. Wonder whom he inherited that from? - GWE
SteveB wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

Good for him. Besides by joining the military now or in the next couple of years, he might be sent to Iraq or Afghanistan, because those conflicts are not going to be over any time soon.
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com

Agreed.
Soapbox on...!!!!
So joining the shooting gallery is not a good idea if you may have to handle a gun?
I will be honest here. (Has anyone noticed how close "honest" is to "hornets'?).
We are always asked to honour "our boys". Most of them signed up for an easy option. The ads tell them they will be better paid and learn a trade. They can retire after a few years on a generous pension, and use their training for other jobs as well.
Many others signed up _for_ the glory. They forgot to remove the l.
Every now and again they are asked to _perform_, and risk their lives. And remember: they are specially trained for this (can they be??)
Even including world wars, what is the risk of dying _in your working life_, for a career soldier compared to Joe Average (include JA deaths in war)? Or an ambo, policeman, courier, postman on a motorcycle? What risk of mental problems vs the same people, or chemical risk vs a low-paid agricultural worker? **************************************************** sorry
.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email
Spike....Spike? Hello?
Old Nick wrote:

No, joining the shooting gallery is not a good idea if you may end up the target.
Abrasha http://www.abrasha.com

And this is a bad thing? Even in Iraq or Afghanistan he would be safer than any normal kid. Do a google on traffic deaths in the US, then match them for the same time frames and per 100,000s
One should also note..the Navy doesnt often set off land mines, if he picked that branch of the service.
Gunner
"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
Gee, it sounds like you've got a real spoiled little punk who could use some shaping up - that he didn't get at home.

officer,
inherited
them
in
larsen-tools wrote:

Well, I've got a pretty thick skin - that's a pretty toxic stroke to lay on a kid you've never met. He's a great kid. I'm sure you'd like him. - GWE
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 07:04:10 -0800, "larsen-tools"
......and in reply I say!:

And this comment comes from one who learnt their manners in the forces perhaps?
Perhaps he had a family that new the difference between authority that was earned, and could be respected and understood, and _arbitrary_ authority, that is not always earned, and can be abused with impunity, often in a screaming, bullying, unpleasant way, with no escape or questioning possible. The history orf the military is full of instances of bullying to the point of suicide, and fatal stuff-ups by "leaders" who would not listen to advice.
I have seen a couple of "punk kids" who went into the forces "to straighten them out". One ended up in a strait _jacket_. **************************************************** sorry
.........no I'm not! remove ns from my header address to reply via email
Spike....Spike? Hello?

Well put. I think that most of the kids who grow into trouble have indeed had the second type impressed on them.
Jim
================================================= please reply to: JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com ================================================
arbitrary authority.
Then he's the kid that needs the service the most. In the service when he mouths off to the boss, he gets his butt kicked and taught a lesson. In civilian life he'll just get fired and won't learn a thing. Get him in the Navy or Air Force and learn a trade there. Tell him to pick something he can use after his hitch is up.Cannon cocker or tank driver won't help much later. To fly in the military takes a four year college degree and good grades, except in the Army where he'll fly a helicopter low and slow in dangerous places.
I've been a carpenter for 30 years. I'm about to retire and go into gunsmith. If I had to do it over, I'd be an electrician. Clean work for the most part, not too heavy, journeyman now is at about $30 hr. An apprentice starts at half that. The benefits for union construction trades are the best that can be had on the planet outside of high level politicians. The job is portable, and even in the slow times there is lots of side work around.
The music industry is very insecure. Talent has very little to do with big time success. Look at the music kids listen to to prove my point. His music passion, hopefully, is only temporary. Good for getting laid but not for raising a family. I know a few musicians, really good ones. They are all relatively poor.
I've raised three boys. I know what I'm talking about.
Good luck, Tom
Tom...... I couldn't agree with you more.
wrote He has a real issue with

can
the
best
is
music

snip----
music
Yep! Every word.
Harold

The lesson being, cower before authority. That'll prepare him to be a good little corporate robot.
Or perhaps he'll learn a different lesson, don't get mad, get even, and learn the fine arts of backstabbing and sabotaging one's superior, or how to be a slacker without getting caught, or even to take up the fine art of fragging.
At least in the private sector he has a more socially acceptable way of dealing with bullying by bosses. He can walk away.
Gary

Chuckle..I dont know any vet who "cowers before authority"
Do you?
Gunner
"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
Hey Grant,
Tax collector or cop. Both will be expanding occupations.
As a pure "mechanical trade", elevators are hard to beat for "interesting", especially the servicing end, but he will need a reasonable "technical" education and to be successful will need to be healthy, hard-working and VERY pragmatic or have a good stress relief outlet (heavy metal strumming??). The trade is somewhat portable, even internationally. We had guys going to China and the Middle East for contract periods of time. Here in Canada, we have at times had mechanics working in the US if there was a crying need, and sometimes (but rarely) vice-versa. The trade as a whole is moderated by sales influenced by the national economy and construction, even in the service and maintenance end of it. But given enough seniority and skill, there will always be work, which is probably true of most occupations. In 34 years, I was only laid-off when I was a helper (now called apprentice helpers), and that totaled maybe 5 months. Pay averages the top five construction trades in general. Advancement into management has been good in the past, although I'm not sure that will continue. A friend I went to high school with got me interested in the trade, and he went on to be president of the company in Canada for a few years (and then the poli-ticking BS got him). I worked through at least 7 presidents, and 6 of them came up from being helpers, but were each one exceptional in some way.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. retired member -- International Union of Elevator Constructors as a Local Representative - Thyssen(-Krupp) Elevator-- formerly Dover Elevator Division of Dover Corp. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:49:51 -0800, Grant Erwin

The best skill you can encourage imho, besides the love of lifelong learning, is the knowledge of buying low and selling high. That way whenever he sees an opportunity, he'll grab it, be it a flea market or the stock market. That said, jewelry has worked out ok for Felice and me, you can settle in any city, make a line of jewelry, shop it around either to local stores, crafts markets, or even online (much harder) and modify your line for local tastes. I would spread that advice out to making anything and selling it, which dovetails nicely with my first suggestion. We fit all our tools into two milk crates when we were travelling around in our youth. That said, Henry is only 15 months old so who knows what the hell I'll teach him....or how he'll end up....
Guitar sounds good as well - you can teach it, repair them, play them in a variety of venues in a variety of styles. Shouldn't ever starve if he's realistic.
Notice I said "starve" - there is a big difference between a trade that always allows you to survive, and one which guarantees a good constant income....
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:49:51 -0800, Grant Erwin

Grant, I don't have time this AM to review all the many excellent responses to this and so don't know if my suggestion's already been covered or not. So anyhow, I'd suggest he look into AA training in laser/photonics. I'm no doubt prejudiced (been doing laser r&d for 20+ yrs) but it's a highly viable area, in my opinion. It's also got a pretty high "cool factor"; seems to me that the main barrier to kids this age taking such work seriously is that they regard it all as "magic" and beyond their abilities; but that's not at all so. There are a number of good AA schools in the US, in South Dakota of all places; Iowa; Oregon; Waco TX (one of the very best there), San Jose CA. And many little programs here and there all over the US. The good kids start at about $35-40K. There is also often what I would consider "extraordinary" potential for AA kids to <advance>; not something you see in every "trade", I don't think. In R&D-ish settings in these sorts of companies, the bottom line is that entry level people who really soak it up and come across as really motivated to do the stuff, get pushed on quickly. Anyhow, that's my 2c on this subject. I think there are a LOT of great tech areas out there, as the numerous other posts suggest. Charley Hale Lafayette CO
-by the way, it's a common perception last couple of years, that this field is glutted and hopeless, re: the fiber telecom meltdown. I don't buy it. Laser/photonics-intensive co's with a heavy r&d and/or aerospace bent, are hopping currently, and I think will be for the foreseeable future, regardless of who's president in the next few years--
--and also by the way, I've got a 16 yr old who's planning on being the best rock and roll drummer the world's ever seen; and he is pretty good, to be sure. But we're talking about a lotta stuff like this with him right now, too. The already-mentioned recording engineering route is a heavy one, e.g. His drum teacher is a local R.E. and that's got some sway with him. I think it's good stuff, too, as long as one is ready to move to one of the centers, as already mentioned. (or, teach kids how to drum on the side in e.g. Lafayette, CO! :) I've moved around plenty (tho not for about 17 yrs now; but did plenty when my family was young) and I for one consider that aspect of things to be one of the positives with the work I've focused on. We're Americans, man, we move and groove, if you ask me! (I'm also from North Central Ark originally, too, which I love dearly, but a physics geek (or whatever) kid is NOT going to thrive there most likely...a lot of places in the US like that...) OK, I'm really done now.
My first thought was teacher. If he does that he will have the summers to pursue heavy metal full time.
He might check out the Navy recruiting office. They will give him a bunch of tests and may guarantee him a particular school after basic training. I think they will do this without a firm commitment.
If he can qualify for and be guaranteed a shot at becoming a pilot in either the Air Force or Navy.........
Dan