What use for boring spindle?

Hi all A few years ago I rescued a Heald 212 precision boring head from the dumpster. Actually, a coworker was bringing out a Bulldog machine base,

3'x3'x30", piled high with tooling and stuff, lathe chucks, tapping heads, and this boring head. As he headed towards the dumpster asked if I could just pull my truck up and have him place it in the bed. He did, and I scored big. I was too late to save the boring machine itself. It was laying in the bottom of the dumpster with other machines on top of it. Sad...

I'm trying to figure out how to use the spindle. It's very heavy, 2' long,

8"swing. I thought about mounting a big grinding wheel to it but that's kind of a waste. It would make a very rigid grinder tho. Anyone have ideas on applying this unit to doing something useful in my shop?

thanks dean s afton mn

Reply to
das

Ok, after the overwhelming response, it's going to be made into a 12" dia pedestal grinder.

dean s afton mn

Reply to
das

Before jumping into a grinder, you'd better verify the speed the head runs.

12" wheels won't tolerate much over about 1,900 RPM. Check the maximum wheel speed of the wheels you intend to run against the head speed.

Heald is well known for its internal grinding machines and grinding heads. It's possible what you have is a grinding head for an internal and it may be way too fast to use. Dunno.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Thanks Harold My boring head tag says "max 4000 rpm". With a 12" grinding wheel I would run no more than 1000 rpm.

It was used to bore aluminum engine cases all it's life. It's a substantial piece of equipment. Thats why i was trying to think of something more interesting to do with it.

dean s afton mn

Reply to
das

substantial

Assuming you can choose your speed, it should make a dandy grinder, certainly not lacking in rigidity. It'd be interesting to see a pic of the finished product if you're inclined.

By the way, don't run your wheel slower than *recommended* speed. Grinding wheels are rated at a particular hardness at a given speed. As you slow them down, they behave softer and softer. Proper speed is important for good grinding and wheel life.

Good luck,

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos