Whats that one thing called?

I'm hoping it has a name.

Its the articulated ball joints that can be found in, for example, "Helping Hands" that are often sold in hobby stores or electronics stores.

Also would a scaled up version work to hold something perhaps in the 7 lbs range.

I'm thinking of using something like that in a ceiling projector mount I'm designing for my new home theater.

Reply to
marc.britten

I know what you're talking about. Maybe you could try the articulated holders used for dial indicators. Those have a series of balls and sockets, which are tightened by a lever/cam that connects to a steel cable that runs down the center. They work pretty well. ww88

Reply to
woodworker88

i was hoping someone would post some locking ball joints other than these....

i think these are expensive and was hoping someone would post a link to some that were less expensive.

(you've got to scroll (way) down to get to the ball joints, i THINK they might be able to hold 7 or 8 pounds, MAYBE.) not sure if this is what you mean though. i bet they have the specs there SOMEWHERE.

William Wixon

Something like that should work, just a ball mounted on a rod held in whatever position you want then torque down on the outside to hold it basically.

I figure two joints one near the top to help set height and one near the projector to help set the angle. Fudging with the 2 should get me a good setup with out lots of measurements to get the ideal setup for the exact layout I have now (which could change, you never know).

Good projector mounts run like $200. I'd hope to get this done for under $100.

Reply to
marc.britten

On a research project at U.C., we needed a full length mirror mounted at an angle to help us observe a target. Problem was solved by using a pair of ball hitches.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Work positioner maybe?

tomcas

I have a few Pana Vise mounts that I scrounged at the dump. I think most of them had been used for car phone mounts (before phones became so small):

They are quite sturdy and would easily hold 7#. I'll sell them for $10 ea, plus postage. Mix & match socket screw or thumb screw. Contact me privately.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

What's that Lassie? You say that snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by 19 Mar 2007 16:00:06 -0700:

I've seen what you are looking for in a catalog at work. This is the companies URL:

under "mounts"

Dan H.

Reply to
dan

Four clamp collars and a little time will do it.

The last pic shows how I slot the collars to be self-fixturing for welding. The collars in the photos are 1/2", probably smaller than you need. I've used as large as 1-1/4" for heavy items.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Maybe a Panavise would work, check out the available attachments.

Reply to
bob