Painting sky and cloud backscenes - ain't all that hard

When I redid the layout room I thought I'd have a lash at a sky - rather than painting everything light blue like I did on the previous layout.

So, this time I looked at the sky over some months until I thought I found one I could do (I'm no artist). First thing I did was go to my local hardware store on the day, grabbed a range of their colour cards in light blue, and walked outside to match them against the lower horizon sky. Important this, do not compare them with the sky overhead. It is a much bluer colour all together. Get a tin of ceiling white if you don't have some at home. One blue colour is fine, as when we look at our layout, we only see a field of about 20 - 30 degs up from the horizon. Finding that, nip off home, get out the roller and start painting.

The first stage clouds. Decided to do the streaky (cirrus?) cluds first as these are higher, and the big fluffy ones cover them up - which means we can paint them in later. The fluffies, I mean (cumulonimbus?) Streaky smeary clouds are easy. 2" paintbrush and bucket with a household sponge in it. Streak of white paint with brush, smear horizontally with sponge until a lot of it is smeared back off. Bucket of water gets very white, and so do your hands.

The second stage clouds. Firstly, I had been given some tubes of artists gouache (Jo something) by another friend so I used this. Acrylic, you can even get it at hardware stores as well as craft and artists supplies. Now here, I asked an artist lady who lives across the road for help in getting colours right. Her advice was load a pallette (off cut of ply in my case) and squirt on a lot of white, a little grey (or even less black), a little yellow, a little blue and the tiniest, tiniest pinpoint of red. Be very careful with red! Although it can add warmth to the clouds, I had to redo one or two pink fluffies. Then basically, using a 1" or smaller brush and the faithfull sponge, paint your clouds. Lot of white, use it liberally. Paint a great big cloud - 2 feet or so. Mix a little grey with the white - a very little grey - and dab this over the cloud, more towards the centre and lower part of the cloud, and on the side furtherest from where the sun is on your layout. Vary this colour a bit with the yellow and blue mixed into white, and very occasionally the tiniest hint of red. Feather the edges using the sponge, then highlight areas in the darker areas using pure white.

The next cloud will follow the basic formula, just change the colours very slightly. Don't forget to overlap clouds, they do in real life! Fun can be had by doing one cloud a distinct (but lightened) grey as a rain cloud.

That's about it. I asked my artist neighbour about clouds and she said "Clouds are personal - if you think they look like clouds, they're clouds". I had a great time doing this. Now, to summon up the courage and see if I can do conifer covered mountains!

Steve Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve Magee

I found a 4 X 8 sheet of 1/2 inch styrofoam at the local lowes which has one side painted sky blue. I just nailed it op at the end of my 4 X 12 layout and it looks fine.

Reply to
larry lawrence

Steve,

Indeed, background scenery can do so much for any kayout in so little time. May I suggest to you a tape on painting by Darryl Huffman (Alaska, USA) that I found to be really well done... even though my backdrops were already completed!

Also, the "New London Industries" cloud stencils are a quick & repeatable way for those who are less confident and possibly have not had the "courage" to mess with their backdrops before in any substantial way. I've personally built, and re-built my layout relying on them both times... with very predictable results.

You guys in Australia are doing great work... we look forward to seeing it in publication.

Art Fahie

Reply to
Art Fahie

Hi,

please have a look here to make realistic clouds:

and

CIAO

Michael Held

HP:

------------------------------------------------------------------------ This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.

"Steve Magee" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D%Cpc.23700$ snipped-for-privacy@nasal.pacific.net.au...

Reply to
Michael Held

I've tried to convince the "shading" people of that for years :-).

I do clouds with artists acrylics and a brush. White with just a hint of grey first. Then a little darker mix along the bottom and pure white where the sun would hit the tops. I'm no artist, but they look pretty good to me. And you want people to admire the layout, not the backdrop :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

"Steve Magee" wrote in news:D%Cpc.23700$ snipped-for-privacy@nasal.pacific.net.au:

Good show mate!! And good luck with the mountians.

Just a nit with the terms: Cumulous (and that's spelled wrong) clouds are the clumpy fair weather clouds you describe. Nimbus clouds are rain clouds and come in two verieties. Cummulonimbus; are cummulous clouds that are dumping rain. Nimbostratus are foul weather rain clouds that cover the sky and hang around all day.

Reply to
Gordon Reeder