When using a dye, should you reverse to dislodge the chips?

This is not a big deal, but...

I just noticed a "Gearwrench" tap and die set that apparently includes a ratcheting handle for cutting threads on a bolt. Looked good, would be better than releasing and re-gripping the handle, but maybe not if you are supposed to reverse direction in order to break off the chips?

Is there a general consensus for the usual situation, about reversing direction to break off the chips when cutting threads on a bolt?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

That's the way I've been taught to do it, for whatever that's worth.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Generally yes, you do need to reverse every now and then to break the chips. The small releifs in a die fill up fast, once full the die cannot cut cleanly. I've never seen a spiral fluted die? I wonder if its even been tried?

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333