Where to buy metal stocks in the Bay Area?

I've been to the local hardware stores and big box places like Home Depot but they are limited in metal stocks like tubing, angle iron and sheet goods - pricey, very limited and small quantities. So where are the places to shop for metal stocks in the Bay Area that is reasonably priced? Recycle places ok too.

Reply to
Fred

--Maselli's in Petaluma and Bataeff Salvage in Rohnert Park are my faves... Maselli's is only open M-F but Bataeff is open all day Saturday, too.

Reply to
steamer

Allen (Alan) Steel just east of 101 at Whipple in Redwood City. They've got most anything.

-Bruno

"Fred" wrote:

Reply to
Bruno

In San Jose:

SimsMetal on Monterey Rd., just north of Tully (some new stuff, but mostly used/slightly damaged/some with splices, etc., but good prices)

Metal Supermarket, 705 Comstock, just off Lafayette, just north of Central.

Aluminum Rem Center, on De La Cruz just north of Hwy 101 (across the parking lot from Western Tool). They have a lot more than just aluminum.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Alco, at the corner of Davis and Doolittle Drive in San Leandro. Be prepared for about a $15 minimum, but they have all sorts of usable scrap, plus racks full of new looking material: hot rolled, cold rolled, stainless, aluminum, copper, brass.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Eeek? Home Depot? They are about 6x more expensive than buying from a real metal dealer.

You didn't say where you live. If you are on the Peninsula, Metal Supermarket in Redwood City is a lot cheaper than Allan Steel. Also, Ron at Metal Supermarket has reasonable prices on cutoffs ($3.99/lb for stainless and $2.99/lb for brass) and is a lot nicer to deal with than Allan Steel.

Also, there is Allied Iron in Belmont that carries steel, aluminum, and brass.

If you want Aluminum for casting, Pyro Minerals in Oakland sells ingots of A356 for about $2.50/lb. After finding Pyro, I gave up scavenging wheelium, pistonium, and diskdrivium.

-Aaron

Reply to
akushner

I'm in the Eastbay around Livermore, Dublin and I'm in San Francisco about once a week.

Thanks Aaron and to all for the good information, will check it out.

Reply to
Fred

Would that be M. Maselli & Sons, Inc. at 519 Lakeville St ???

I hadn't heard of them before, but after reading your post, I did a Web search and found the following page:

According to their Web site (if we're talking about the same Maselli), they are open on Saturday:

STORE HOURS Mon. Through Fri. - 7:30am to 5:00pm Saturday - 7:30am to 12:00pm Sunday - Closed

- Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

For some reason, their pages aren't responding right now. Maybe they turn off the PC late at night?

Anyway, I double checked the link on google and while there, I found this page of vendors...

They all seem to be too far north to be very useful for me, but it is another group to add to the list.

Reply to
xray

--Yup that's them, but on the occasional Saturday when I've been by they were closed..

Reply to
steamer

In the East Bay, try Naylor's Steel (510) 783-4688 in Hayward. They have a great selection, have good prices, really friendly service, drop-offs of all kinds for cheap... and, they're even open Saturday morning!

Fred wrote:

Reply to
Adam

Metal Supermarkets? Man, they are the priciest place I've seen yet, maybe second to Home Depot... I got a quote on some 2x2x.120 steel tube the other day and they quoted me twice what the local place quoted me (Naylor). Even Onlinemetals was cheaper than these guys.

Reply to
Adam

I guess I'm comparing Metal Supermarket to the other local sources. Allied Iron in Belmont and Alan Steel are both more than the Metal Supermarket in Redwood City. I know there are cheaper sources on the East Bay, but then I have to factor in driving 45+ minutes each way.

As for copper, onlinemetals seems to have prices lower than the other local shops. However, today I priced some copper rod from Sequoia Brass and Copper in Hayward and they nearly matched onlinemetals prices. So I guess I'll be driving out to Hayward next week.

Reply to
akushner

I second this suggestion. They usually have better prices than Alan Steel and seem to have a better selection.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Allied Iron Arts & Crafts

620 Waltermire (off Ralston) Belmont, CA 1-650-591-6555 hot rolled steel, cold rolled steel

Mon - Fri 8:00 to 5:00

CLOSED 12:00-1:00 for lunch

Great folks, Very good prices.

--Winston