Why use a contactor?

Am 12.01.2014 01:48, schrieb DaveC:

1.) Safety issues. It is a lot safer to have the machine shut off, when the power is cut. Otherwise the saw might start up again, while you have your fingers on the blade or so. Or the blade is stuck and starting the saw can ruin the blade/motor/mechanics. 2.) When using a simple on-off-switch, there is really no good way to have it stop, other than turning the switch. When you use a contactor, you can start and stop the saw with multiple switches, for example a two-button-start, to ensure both hands are away from the blade, or one stop-button and a sensor/switch, that stops the saw, when it hits a certain point or so. In our company we have special motor-switches, that have an under voltage-switch attached. The switch has two buttons (on and off; who would have thought :-) and the under voltage-switch is attached on the side and turns the switch off, when the voltage drops below a certain value, via a mechanical rod assembly. And that on machines, that, theoretically will just give you a good whack if it starts up and you have a body part in there. Might also be a good reason to install something like that in a band saw.

Greets

Tom

Reply to
TB

Readers of this thread may be interested in this and similar devices:

Larry W

How does a low-voltage switch work via a mechanical rod assembly?

Can't picture this...

Reply to
DaveC

"DaveC" <

Picture this: a "linear rheostat". ;>)} The shoe could be moved by the rod ass'y. pdk

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Check out the price on those units. How about around 113 dollars for the privilege of buying their gadget?

I like the 12 buck switch that does the same thing and comes with the off paddle.-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

The relay just drops out and stays out until the trip is released.

Very important in some cases. Especially when an order of power up is required.

Mart> Readers of this thread may be interested in this and similar devices: >

Reply to
Martin Eastburn