Solid-State Relay instead of a contactor?

I am building a new compressor from a salvaged C-H tank and other parts, the

99.99 5 hp pump from HF, and a new 5 hp, 1 ph motor. The new motor is too much of a load for the pressure switch. I can get a contactor from Ebay, but I can also get some 25-amp solid-state relays a lot cheaper. Anyone have any thoughts on this option? The motor has built-in overload protection, so that's not a strong consideration.
Reply to
Bob Chilcoat

What a great project! How big is the tank?

I do not think that you can get solid state relays much cheaper than contactors. You need what, two 25 amp relays like Crydom D2425? That's about same as a 40-75 amp contactors -- about $20 with shipping if you are patient.

Also, I may be wrong but if you go the solid state route, pick a SSR that has zero crossing properties.

If I may offer another suggestion, add a 30 watt or 50 watt or so muffin fan to cool your pump when it is running. It will cost you basically nothing and may substantially increase reliability of your setup. A 30 or 50 watt muffin fan moves A LOT of air. An incredible amount.

Ignoramus24987

SSRs need a decent heatsink for that current (16A or so @240VAC). If the SSR fails on (which they are wont to do) you'll be testing the safety relief valve. I don't see a lot of advantage to using an SSR in this application- the compressor is noisy anyhow and the life probably won't be an issue. Sometimes they have trouble turning off with motor loads- try to get the kind that is "back to back SCRs" rather than the triac kind.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have an SSR on my 2 Hp compressor. I had the first one blow (shorted) so I used a much higher rating and have had no further problems. The motor has an 11 A @ 240 V rating, and I'm using a 600 V 50 A SSR.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

They are available cheap on eBay, but mostly these are used units swapped out from planned maintenance.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

There are new and old ones oavailable on ebay, and both kinds are not cheaper than contactors on ebay.

Ignoramus24987

Not a good application for 25-amp SSRs. Start current on an induction motor, particularly one with a compressor load, can exceed

10X rated load current. SCR's and triacs can take that for a cycle ( 1/60 sec) or so, but a compressor motor can take a significant fraction of a second to get started.
Reply to
Don Foreman

Don't understand why you want a SSR.The only advantage of SSR is they are quiet.Try a mercury relay

Reply to
tony stramella

On an inductive load? Good way to get a mercury-laden explosion unless they are specifically rated for that load (few are).

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I have a small supply of new in the box Crydom 2425s. $10 each, that includes shipping in the continental US. They were for a project that never happened.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

this is a sensible deal actually.

Ignoramus24987

Yes, indeed! The contactor that was in my compressor was actually louder than the compressor, and every time the motor started, I'd jump a foot! Now, there's no huge clang when it starts.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks for the offer. I've put a bid in for a contactor, which I might get, but I'm still interested in trying some SS relays. OTOH, as someone said, I probably should go with something in the 40-50 amp range. My motor is a

20-amp 230 V motor and, assuming that a 2425 is a 240 V 25 amp relay, it might be marginal in this application.
Reply to
Bob Chilcoat