Wiper Inserts for face milling brass

Tried the indicator on the 11 teeth of the cutter.

I have 2 teeth that are about 4/10ths longer than the rest, one that is about 0.001" shorter, and the rest are the same within about 1/10 th of a thou.

Reply to
Robert Salasidis

Would it be possible to lap the inserts in situ?

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I bought some inserts from MaxProTools (they were cheaper than the Iscar ones) - I have 22 of those - so I will try them out

Reply to
Robert Salasidis

I tried these out, and get about 34 uin in Ra (bought a used PocketSurf to get some quantitative numbers)

When I run the feed real slow (about .0003" per tooth on the 3" face mill, I get about 10 uin. (presumably, the actual feed is about 11x that as one insert is always slightly longer than the rest, and therefore the surface finish is directly related to its cutting)

I will try a run where I will double the RPM, keeping the feed rate constant - will exceed the max SFM for brass, but hopefully insert life will not be severely affected.

Reply to
Robert Salasidis

Flycut it with a b-52

Reply to
butchfuch

Would be too slow, but what I will probbaly try next is an Iscar tang mill with a single wiper (will do the same as the fly cut, only faster. Unfortunaltely the tool I am using now uses APCR1003 inserts, and no wiper is available from them (from any second source either - which I don't really know why)

Reply to
Robert Salasidis