A new face mill...

Awl--
Apropos of JR's very excellent recent posts, what would be a good but economical choice for a face mill/insert type? For a non-too particular
hack machinist, non-production? I'm interested in the mill itself, as well as insert type.
I assume that face mills would all use screw-type inserts. I'm thinking round inserts for general facing would be most economical, as you have 2*pi*r of edge available. But square inserts allow you to chamfer really fast, as well as face, and offer 4 edges/points.
Are there any particular styles of inserts that are most common/economical? For me, it would be just insert cost, as production is not an issue yet. Life might be a factor, but I'll proly break'em before they wear out.
I've seen alum. alloy face mills with adjustable inserts, for like $800 each. Just dreaming...
I found the 3" to be a little big. If you were to keep around just one size, what would you choose? Two sizes?
--
------
Here is Kriss Hogg (Mr. P.V.) showing what he really does best... Lie

Jon, how many machines do you own?
How many machines does PV own?
How many products have you designed, machined, marketed, and sold?
How many products has PV designed, machined, marketed, and sold?
I'd say it's pretty clear who is full of shit.
[...]

Why don't you want to answer?
Why are you cross posting your clueless garbage to comp.cad.solidwork?
Joe788 wrote: /

Joe, More to the point, or staying on topic, what type of face mills do you run in your shop?
Thanks.
Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Might as well as Joe788 is too dumb and too stupid (same for Half Nutz Putz / 3t3d / Pete Logghe) to figure out the reason why I switch to posting with another posting name after doing extensive posting with jon_banquer over a short period of time.
On Jul 13, 2:50pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Well last August it was because you had to use multiple personalities because just one was too busy to reply to all the posts. Why DO you hide behind all those multiple names?
How many machines do you own? Can you shaw ANY examples of YOUR work? ANY?
Can you show ANY pictures of valve train parts YOU DESIGNED? What, NOTHING?
Thought so.

Might as well as Joe788 is too dumb and too stupid (same for Half Nutz Putz / 3t3d / Pete Logghe) to figure out the reason why I switch to posting with another posting name after doing extensive posting with jon_banquer over a short period of time.
On Jul 13, 11:50am, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't you think that should tell you something about your posting habits, Jon/Larry/Jim?

I like to use the Mitsubishi ASX and Iscar Heliocto. We machine 99.9% aluminum, and I think PV is looking for more of an all-around solution.
I have a pile of 2 inch Mitsubishi BXD face mills that I use for rough facing and contouring (it's an aluminum specific cutter). They are fantastic, but not cheap. About $400 for the body, and $20/pc for the inserts.
Quite frankly though, I'd be more interested to know why Jon insists on posting under multiple fake names in multiple places.

Might as well as Joe788 is too dumb and too stupid (same for Half Nutz Putz / 3t3d / Pete Logghe) to figure out the reason why I switch to posting with another posting name after doing extensive posting with jon_banquer over a short period of time.

Last year it was because he was too busy to reply all the posts, so he had to have multiple "personalities" to reply that many times.
Nobody but Jonnie could make that up either...
And notice that he gets NO google stars Untill Larry the Loozer logs on..... Interesting.

Might as well as Joe788 is too dumb and too stupid (same for Half Nutz Putz / 3t3d / Pete Logghe) to figure out the reason why I switch to posting with another posting name after doing extensive posting with jon_banquer over a short period of time.
Joe788 wrote:

We do 90% alum. and our 3" face mill is coarse pitch and a 2 1/2" fine pitch for SST and ferrous. I like the parallelograms for the ability to mill up to a sq. shoulder.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Dermabrasion?
Bob
hey guys will you stop cross posting this stuff to comp.cad.solidworks please I don't want to have to add a whole lot of people to my blocked senders list...

Sorry about that. The original post was not cross posted. Some ranting raving lunatic apparently thought that comp.cad.solidworks wanted to read his 243 incorrect, uninformed copy/pastes from his two different user names.
Once it gets cross posted, most people don't even seem to notice, and it just keeps growing.

Jon, how many machines do you own? ==================================Does a 1994 Sierra count? I wonder if jb realizes that none of his saab parts are likely to fit.
--
------