Move Face of a solid 2005?

In 2005 is there any new tool that would allow you to move a face of a solid an increment in a specified direction? It would be similar to patterning a face but remove the origional. Unfortunately when using the pattern feature you cannot skip the seed feature. I guess what I am looking for is move/copy face(but without the need of a body).

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Yes, there is. It's called "Move Face". It can move solid or surface faces, and can translate, rotate or offset. It's pretty much the same thing as making a new surface and using the "Replace Face" function, but it eliminates a couple steps.

Matt

"Corey Scheich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

Reply to
matt

Insert Features MOve/Copy might be the answer.Allows you to copy bodies and or surfaces and translate/rotate on X,Y,Z axis

Reply to
Arthur Y-S

That moves entire bodies, not individual faces.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Arthur Y-S) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

Try Insert>face>replace

Reply to
SWorks user

I know that method but it is quite cumbersome. Because you have to create the surface body with an offset then move the body and then replace the face, way too many steps for a simple feature movement.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Move faces is an awesome tool that has been added. If you haven't experimented with it you should. Not only will it move a face, it will move the attached radii too. Now, everyone is thinking that is real nice in a perfect world with no draft, but It will move the radii and maintain tangency to drafted walls. I find this tool very helpful for adding machine stock to castings. I also find it helpful for removing radii. If you have a notch with male and female radii meeting, alot of times the delete faces command will not be able to remove some of the intricate blends. I have found that a midplane cut which encompases all of the radii and then move faces back to original location will eliminate these quickly. Example: radii = .03, cut midplane .08 total thickness. move the resultant faces .04 back and you have your original model with no radii. If you would like an example of some of the ways these things work, please email me and I will get you an example file.

Bryan Compton snipped-for-privacy@htdinc.com

Reply to
Bama

I haven't started using 2005 just yet, waiting for the shipped version, so I will be looking forward to the new functionality.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich

"Corey Scheich" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

FYI, I saw a tech bulletin today on the subscription site stating specifically that you will be able to upgrade from the downloaded version of sp0.0.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

That changes everything thanks!! I know that SW gets alot of flack here but it seems they do pay attention to some of the more important matters. Hindsight is 20/20 Seems that so far mostly good comments on 2005 nice change from other releases.

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich