How to curve pattern a feature that has split lines + colours?

Hello,

I am trying to graphically represnt in effect a series of cylindrial fence posts equally spaced along a 3D curve. The fence posts however need to be multicoloured.

There are two ways I have attempted this and have run into problems in both.

1) Within a PART using Curve Driven Pattern feature Open a new part, create a simple cylindrical extrusion from origin (the seed fence post). Use split lines to create the faces on the extrusion. Colour the faces individually. Create the 3D sketch along which the fence posts will lay, starting at origin. Use the curve driven pattern function in SW to try and now pattern the multicoured post along the 3D curve.

PROBLEM->>> SW doesnt seem to carry over the coloured faces on the seed part which is a problem. I can instead manully create split lines on each individual post and manually colour each individual face but with 100's of posts this is impractical.

2) Within an ASSEMBLY using Component Pattern. Insert a part representing a single multicoloured fence post and try to pattern the part. PROBLEM->>> I have not found a way for SW to pattern parts in an assembly along a 2D or 3D curve.

I have tried an alternative to 1). Instead of creating split lines to define the faces to be colured on the seed fence post, I instead create a seed fence post made up of multiple solid bodies (each a separate extrusion feature) and colour each solid body individually, and pattern all those features along the 3D curve. However, with teh number of fence posts I was looking at and the number of colured faces on each fence post, SW basically crashed out/locked up (perhaps dealing with too many solid bodies).

Any ideas on how to achieve the ends?

Thanks

Bull

Reply to
Bullman

Bull - Your first method worked fine for me. Make sure you select the Propagate Visual Properties at the bottom of the tool. I am using 2007 which handles this color propagation better than it did in 2006.

Good luck,

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO

Thanks SteveO,

You are right. I tried it again ensuring that I select the solid body from the tree (and not the extrusion feature from the tree) and it all worked.

While I am here, I may as well ask if there is a way to pattern a part in an assembly along a 3D curve (like you can pattern a feature/body in a part), specifiying spacing etc.

Thanks

Bull

Reply to
Bullman

Bull - You could use the Feature Driven Pattern. The "Feature" comes from a part feature which could be a curve driven pattern. This curve driven pattern then drives a component in the assembly. Hope this makes sense. If you need an example let me know and I can email you something.

Steve O

Reply to
SteveO