Boring to a face on a mill

Given that bores for bearings etc often bottom out to a face, how do members deal with this if they only have a boring head for the mill? (not a boring and facing head) Let us assume that the part in question is too big to swing on the faceplate of the lathe.

Reply to
Electricky Dicky

Maybe mount the part on a rotary table and use an end mill? Tool deflection may make the bottom diameter smaller than the top, though.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

Make a counterbore a few mm smaller than the main bore and a bit deeper. Bearings only need to seat on their outer flange.

Reply to
Dave Baker

For small bearings (and also for counterbores for cap head screws) I use a slot drill to finish off a drilled hole. Slow speeds and lots of cutting oil. You may get a better finish with a large cutter if you grind a bevel on the corners (though, obviously, small enough to match that on the bearing).

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

I have not tried it but I think that on a Bridgeport the spindle stop should do the job. It will firmly stop manual feeding and there is an automatic trip-out of the power feed (if it is working properly).

Don Young, USA

Reply to
Don Young