Harrison M250

I am considering creating a "Hobby" workshop and have the offer of purchasing a Harrison M250. Would the group feel that this is too big for model type work? First project would probably be a small IC engine typically of the Jan Ridders design. I spent some years in sub contract machining in the dim and distant past so have a reasonable degree of experience. The Harrison is of interest because

1 its local 2 its full metric and imperial 3 its £500 4 Comes with 3 jaw, 4 jaw, faceplate, fixed steady, quick change toolpost and two holders, additional change gears.

Needs a good clean up and motor changed to single phase.

Any comments? Negative or positive. Any particular points on the m/c that need checking out?

Reply to
Electricky Dicky

If its not a really tired old hack then Id certainly give it a go. Its easier to do small on a large machine that large on a small machine... sounds equiped enough that you could be making things quickly. Not sure how easy a remotor a modern Harrison, but my L5 was dead easy. Id consider an inverter drive if you can, I put a newton tesla on mine and it makes the speed range much more flexible, and has fwd/ rev as well.

Dave

Reply to
dave sanderson

Grab it!

Even if beat to heck, it'll outcut a Myford any day.

Small work on a big lathe is way easier than big work on a small lathe.

Like as not, once you have it, you will find yourself with projects too large to fit comfortably. That is the nature of having a lathe! :-)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones