Wood heat in a shop

AFAIC, the whole carbon scene is a silly, political mess. Luckily, Algore didn't make billions from it as he tried, with his lying, bullshit, made-up story of a movie. He owned lots of shares in carbon credit companies.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just yesterday you were saying it was better to just burn propane....

Are you drunk? The above makes no sense whatsoever.....

Of course...

--but the Surgeon General was wrong in putting warning lables on cigarettes back in 1966, correct?

Obviously, you have a chrystal ball...appreciate tell me who's going to win next years world series, so that I can "bank on it"

Name even a single company that was "run out of business by the EPA" and whose market share wasn't immediately gobbled up by some other company that takes the EPA regulations a little more seriously.

As opposed to costing....mollusks?

To accomplish what, exactly?

Because idiots like you keep voting for the candidates who are supported by large corporations...

--got any more stupid questions?

And, the moon is made of fruitcake.....

Cites?

Yet, you continue supporting politicians who advocate "letting businesses police themselves"

PrecisionmachinisT

The question is redundant unless you are going to give up heating your house if your fire introduces excess carbon into the atmosphere. You might as well ask how many angels can dance on the head of a needle as it has as much relevance to the question of heating your house.

As for your frats, I read a very serious article by a Greenie regarding the release of methane gas in cattle farts which, the article argued, was a major danger to the earth's environment.

But if one really, really, wants to be green then it is time to do something about those volcanos. I read one post by a geologist that reckoned that one volcano emits, in one day, more CO2 then all the greenies in the U.S. can save in five years.

Reply to
John B.

The problem is that y'all really don't want to do anything about the CO2 content, you just want to dance around and give the impression that you are doing something.

I've read some pretty definitive numbers that demonstrate that a major cause of high CO2 levels is the private owned motor vehicle, but has anyone suggested banning them? Nope. Everyone NEEDs his big SUV, NEEDS it, I say!

Nope, don't even think of banning the big producers. Quick, get that Boy Scout... looks like he might light a campfire.

Reply to
John B.

It regulates what it can, which is commercial stove industry. And it demanded that the industry makes stoves based on modern less-polluting designs.

Makes sense to me. Stoves are not banned, they just need to be made right. Existing stoves are not affected.

Ignoramus26948

It regulates the commercial stove industy , but also regulates the home built stoves. You can not install a home built stove unless you have it tested by a testing lab. So effectively you can not legally install a home built stove.

And unlike say the government U.S. Forest Products Lab, the EPA does not publish anything to help individuals. They should be doing research on designing better stoves and making plans available to individuals.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I didn't say polluting the air was OK. And just because it's the same to you, whether the carbon comes from fossil fuels or from trees, doesn't mean that they are the same. Carbon added to our environment that was sequestered millions of years ago is not the same as carbon released from burning vegetation that is growing now. No matter what you think. As far as pollution in its entirety from wood burning stoves compared to burning propane you are correct that burning propane in a modern heater pollutes less. much less. If a wood burning stove was built that released only the same pollutants in the same quantities for the same BTU output as burning propane the stove would have a less harmful effect on our environment. If we don't stop adding the CO2 to our environment from fossil fuel burning our planet is going to experience general warming. And that most likely would be a bad thing as far as human life is concerned. I do worry about the stuff that comes out of my fireplace. I have to weigh the total pollutants released against not adding to the total carbon load of our present day environment. And I have vacillated about which is best. At the same time I drive a car that burns fossil fuels and I heat my shop with propane. Which shows that I'm not always doing what's best for our planet. I do try to rely on the best scientific evidence to make my decisions, not a particular political viewpoint. And I am not going to say any more about this on RCM. In fact, I shouldn't have posted several of the messages I did on this subject because they weren't metal related. If you want to correspond with me any more about this then please send me an email. Cheers, Eric

Reply to
etpm

What happened to your municipality demanding that you clean up your yard? Did they leave you alone?

Ignoramus20509

The last lead smelter in the US has been shut down. No more lead smelted in the US.

John

Reply to
John

Hogwash, 97% of lead smelting in the US uses recycled lead as the feedstock; these smelters are still very much open for business

No, no more PRIMARY lead smelting, an activity which amounted to only 3% of lead production in the first place and which (as I said before) no doubt will resume if and when there develops sufficient demand.

"the small increase in demand should be met by existing sources or possibly by a new U.S. smelter using already existing technology that is capable of meeting the new air quality standards"

PrecisionmachinisT