woodworker needs a metalworking term

Greetings, Ya can't DAGS if ya don't know the words... I use a hand hacksaw to cut thin (1/8) metal. That sucks. What power tool does one use to cut metal? Reciprocating "sawsall"? Angle grinder? Something analogous to a table saw? I'm just looking for keywords here; I'll do the search myself.

Thanks

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis
[posted and mailed]

Australopithecus scobis wrote in news:enalbor snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Bandsaw is my first choice, Harbor Freight 4"x6" is the popular one. About $150 shipped to your door. There are "porta bands" which are portable bandsaws, Then there are abrasive chop saws, Home Depot carries them Then there are cold saws.....

What is it exactly that you are trying to cut?

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Marty has posed the proper question. All of the long-and-narrow stuff: angle, tube, pipe and round stock get cut with saws (of some type). Plasma cutters, sawzalls and circular saws with abrasive blades can work here as well.

Flat-and-wide stuff: plate, sheet, large diameter tube, etc. is the specialty for nibblers, plasma cutters, shears, sawzalls which have no "throat" to limit the length of cut. They all cut from >> Greetings,

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Reply to
John D. Farr

A Sawzall will work, but it's a bit slow. "Dry cut" blades have been mentioned here in rcm; you can use them in a Skilsaw to cut steel.

Reply to
Steve Dunbar

Thanks, off to Google!

I'm cutting 1/8" O1 for blades. Got lots of good advice here about the heat treating part.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Depends on what you're trying to cut, and the cut you want to make. You might want a power hacksaw. You might want a "chop" saw - an abrasive wheel type saw. You might want a bandsaw. Give us some more info and we may be more help.

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore

A metal cutting bandsaw. Blade depends on the matl. and thickness. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

You can use a metal cutting blade in a bandsaw but it does cut a bit fast for steel. If you plan on a lot of cutting, find another bandsaw and convert it to a slower speed and you will have a nice second saw that will cut fine. Better is the chap (sort of) metal bandsaw - those ones that lift up and cut on the downstroke slowly. These will automatically cut a piece off of a bar and then stop or, if you need something special for a cut, the saw will go vertical and you can use it as a bandsaw in your old way albeit with a much smaller table.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Reply to
Roy J

For eighth inch and for trade, I would suggest a powered shear or guillotine.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Works good on Liberals too.

Gunner, ducking and weaving That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner