Working with tin?

--Have been making use of that .008" thick "easy solder" tin sheet that you can get at hobby shops. It's nice and bendy and can be hammered easily to remove dents, etc. Trouble is it oxidizes and turns fairly awful mottled colors fairly quickly. Can someone recommend a way to 'fix' the finish without using paint? I'm using bent pieces of the stuff to connect bell to foot pieces for an octave of whistles that will be operated in a fairly hot environment.

Reply to
steamer

Just a thought, but what about "re-tinning" the piece with solder??????

Reply to
Bob in Phx

--Well it'd be a little complicated considering the application. Also it might get hot enough to melt the solder!

Reply to
steamer

Eastwood used to sell a small, rather inexpensive tin-plating kit. Caswell offers tin and zinc, but larger scale and more $$$.

I wonder if tumbling the parts in crushed corncob or crushed walnut shell would clean them up. Works great on spent brass cartridge cases. One adds some polishing compound to the job, which in some cases (e.g. Lyman TurboBrite) contains a bit of rouge.

I think the HF vibratory tumbler can be run wet with ceramic media.

Don Foreman