Tongue question

Anyway, been thinking about simplicity vs strength in terms of tongue design.

I like the idea of using a straight tongue that goes =93through=94 the front of the trailer support then has A frame sides that attach (weld) to the front trailer support. This seems like a strong design. However, it seems to me it would take me longer and require a fair amount of precision. (have to cut the ends of the A frame at an angle to meet the front support, having to cut the front trailer support in two pieces to meet the center tongue. Then afraid I would not have everything square in terms of the distance from one side of the tongue tip to the frame as compared to the other side.

Most trailer designs seem easier, basically, making a =93square=94 for the trailer frame. Then fabricating an A frame tongue and placing it on the upside down trailer frame, measure to ensure the tongue is square with the frame and welding it directly underneath the frame.

However, it seems those welds will be taking all the force and a person better have extremely good welds. (Which I am practicing but that worries me).

Anyway, was wondering what your thought were. I was thinking a 6 feetx12feet dual axle.

Reply to
stryped

My boat trailer is a dual axle trailer rated for 7,000 lbs. There are no welds at all. The trailer is 100 % bolted together with through bolts or U bolts. The second boat trailer I have, I'm building just like you described. A welded v shaped trailer. I cut all the angles with a hacksaw. The angle where the tongue meets the sidepieces was cut several times to get a good fit. I have the trailer all tacked together and it will go to a weld shop to get welded. I can't weld worth beans. For what it's worth, I balked at buying a trailer for $300.00. I decided to build mine and have way over $500.00 in it so far. Buying a trailer is a way better way to go. I used to own a Stigers trailer. It was a beauty. I wish I still had it.

Reply to
Dan