WTB cheap ball bearings

Hi guys,

I want to build one of the machinery moving skids in the dropbox and need 32 sealed bearings about 1-1/2" diameter. Any idea where I might find them cheap. They do not need to be in stellar shape, so used would be fine. Just finding 32 of the same thing is tricky and MSC want around $5 a piece so that aint going to happen.

Thanks

Reply to
Jenny3kids

I don't recall where I got them or what happended to them, but I once found a bunch of really low tolerance bearings. Very loose, made out of sheetmetal. I can only assume they were made for things like this. They should be dirt cheap if you can find a source.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Princess Auto has 6201s for $1.69CAN each. That's about $1USD. They are *not* 1.50" OD, though, they are 32mm OD which is 1.26". They sell 6203s which are 40mm OD (1.575") for $1.79CAN each with 17mm ID. You can also get them with 5/8" ID but those are more, $2.69CAN each.

Try

- they are good at this kind of thing. Just call them up and do VISA. The credit card company takes care of the exchange rate and Princess Auto takes care of shipping to the US.

Grant Erw> I don't recall where I got them or what happended to them, but I once found a

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I believe that you can pick up replacement wheels and bearings for those things for about $10 or so. Not as good of a deal, but readily available at most sporting goods stores.

-- Joe

-- Joseph M. Krzeszewski Mechanical Engineering and stuff snipped-for-privacy@wpi.edu Jack of All Trades, Master of None... Yet

Reply to
jski

And if your wife skates to exercise, you will have an endless supply of slightly gritty ones. I know, I do.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Hey Jenny,

Definitely falls within the purview of items available at machine shop auctions. There is usually a tool crib area, or a room in the crib, where somebody buys the whole room with one bid. Buy the bearings he doesn't want.

Also, as a suggestion, do you know anybody in the elevator business? This is a sort of standard size used in many door hangers, and 50 wouldn't be outside the norm that a mechanic in that trade would change in six months. Ask him to save them for you

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hi guys,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Reply to
larry g

Thanks Brian and the others with **sensible** suggestions.

Moving machinery on roller blade bearings. Hell if I was using roller blade bearings the machinery would be small, I could pick up the bloody machine in my hands. I swear half the people on this group never think about what they are reading.

Thanks for the suggestion on elevator doors but this is a small country town and we don't have buildings **with** elevators let alone repairmen.

To the guy asking for the link it is the "Machinery_skate.dxf" in the drop box.

I have borrowed these skates before but just decided I'd like a new project and would make some, but the $150 for bearings got me scurrying to the group for help.

I have a son in a large city and will ask him if he knows any elevator people.

Thanks again Brian, and others.

Reply to
Jenny3kids

Or writing.

The load rating of the skate wheel bearings (608) is approx

60% that of the R8 bearings spec'd in the dropbox. Hell, if you can pick up the machine the skate bearings will support by yourself, two of you can carry whatever the R8s will handle.

In any case, unless you're working on a heavy metal floor, the surface you're running over is almost certainly going to fail long before the bearings (either R8s or 608s) even notice the load.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

You didn't specify how heavy the machinery is or what sort of surface you were moving over but consider: Ever watched a 200 pounder doing tricks on roller blades? Think about the impact loading involved. Do the calculation (if you're up to it). Those things are one Hell of a lot tougher than you appear to give them credit for.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Jenny,

I just made some skates myself. I looked at the Hillman type as well as pictures of the ones on ebay someone is selling plans for. Decided there was way too much work in all that. I made up some simple skates using 4 cast iron 3" dia wheels from Northern Hydraulic. They simply run on 3/8 CRS shafts. The theoretical capacity is 2 tons per skate though I would never dare try that. The wheels I bought however are typical Chinese junk. 2/3 were fine, the rest had way too much runout and I ended up truing up all of them to the bore. I just moved a 2500lb lathe and had no trouble rolling it by myself. These are not as tolerant of grit as the roller track units, but it's no bid deal to sweep the floor... However instead of buying the wheels, I'd suggest buying a length of 3" CRS, sawing some wheel blanks, and drilling the centers. My biggest problems came from not having proper thrust bearings under the swivel, and having a floor uneven enough that I was often only on three skates at a time. Been meaning to get around to finishing up a DXF drawing and take some pics. I'll see if I can't coax another pic or two out of my dying digital, and post to the drop box.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson

Double sealed 6205s (25X47X15mm) are less than $5, so the bearings would cost about half your selling price. But for anyone who values their time at more than a few dollars an hour, $75 is a pretty good price for a finished product.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

I went digging in my resource (junk) bin. Found following surplus to my needs:

Fafnir #202KD bearing with metal shields on both sides. Clean pulls from rollers. Measures OD = 1.375" ID = 0.600" bearing width = 0.430"

Quantity available = approx 50

$5 plus postage

Jim Vrzal Holiday,Fl. 34690

P.S. if I dig long enough I might find a total of 60 or more. Just can't remember where one batch went.

snipped-for-privacy@msn.net wrote:

Reply to
mawdeeb

Hey Jim,

Now THAT'S help!!

Take care.

Brian Laws>I went digging in my resource (junk) bin. Found following surplus to my >needs:

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Didn't get a response to this so, Going once,,,,,,,,

Jim Vrzal

mawdeeb wrote:

Reply to
mawdeeb

Look for a 202DD Timken or BCA at the local bearing house. This is the plastic shield variant and is the least expensive. For that quantity someone should be able to quote it under $5.

|Didn't get a response to this so, Going once,,,,,,,, | |Jim Vrzal | | |mawdeeb wrote: |> I went digging in my resource (junk) bin. Found following surplus to my |> needs: |> |> Fafnir #202KD bearing with metal shields on both sides. |> Clean pulls from rollers. |> Measures |> OD = 1.375" |> ID = 0.600" |> bearing width = 0.430" |> |> Quantity available = approx 50 |> |> $5 plus postage |> |> Jim Vrzal |> Holiday,Fl. 34690 |> |> P.S. if I dig long enough I might find a total of 60 or more. Just can't |> remember where one batch went. |> |> |> |> snipped-for-privacy@msn.net wrote: |> |>> Hi guys, |>>

|>> I want to build one of the machinery moving skids in the dropbox and |>> need 32 sealed bearings about 1-1/2" diameter. Any idea where I might |>> find them cheap. They do not need to be in stellar shape, so used |>> would be fine. Just finding 32 of the same thing is tricky and MSC |>> want around $5 a piece so that aint going to happen. |>>

|>> Thanks |>>

|>> -- |>>

|>> Kind regards, |>> Jenny and her tribe of survivors. |>>

|> |

Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B