Zenni Optical-first time bifocals Help!

Damn...so it wasnt all that masturbation after all?

Whew....!!!!

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I find that my bifocals have the opposite problem of not focusing up close enough. What I did was go to the dollar store and get reading glasses in various strengths and to use the computer I use a mild lens and look through the distance part of my bifocals, and when I need to see close up I use a medium or strong pair to focus closer than my close up lenses.

Another option would be to order another pair of bifocals and prescribe your own lenses. One eye could have a distance lens that is not as great for distance but will allow you to focus in the mid range better, the other eye could have the long distance lens.

You could also alter the add on prescription for the lower lenses giving you two effective close up focus lengths.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Yeah, that's the problem with an unmatched set of eyes. Turn one of yours in for a refund! I'm 20:250 in one eye and 20:500 in the other, fully a 2:1 difference between them. I have to adjust the eyepieces on binoculars and stereo microscopes until one eyepiece is about to fall off the threads.

My current scheme is to just use the "reading glasses" set the Dr. made, and not get the "distance glasses" at all. I get decent enough vision for both driving, looking at mountains, etc. and for most work. For really close stuff I just look under the glases or take them off (or use microscope, or viewing hood, etc.) This probably won't work for you, you may need a set of close-up glasses. Tell the Dr. what kind of close-up work you do, he can calculate the correct diopters for that range. Personally, the whole concept of bi-focals (or tri...) doesn't sound like it will work for me.

Well, I think propercly made single-vision prescription glasses will work a heck of a lot better if you use your eyes a LOT, like me. You really don't want to be carrying around 5 sets of glasses stacked on top of your head, I know, but at least having two pair at hand for different tasks is something to think about. I've avoided it so far, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

Part of my scheme is the idea that letting my eyes take the easy route with glasses mahes me MORE nearsighted. I worried that if I made it easier, yet again, by using distance glasses, then I'd get even more nearsighted, and need still STRONGER lenses next time. They told me my nearsightedness would start to reduce when I got to be 40. Well, I'm

57 tomorrow, and it hasn't happened yet! I think the getting more nearsighted has slowed considerably, at least. Without the glasses, my closest sharp focus is about 1.5" in the left, and about 3" in the right! Sheesh! Anyway, I have no idea whether not using the distance glasses and letting my eyeballs "work" for a living has had any part in slowing down this progression, it's just a wild theory.

But, I plan on holding off on the bifocals as long as I can.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Trifocals work quite well for me at least. With out them I'd have a significant blurry range just as described by Gunner (Hi Mark). It is worth it to go to a good optician to get the first set fitted. It took me a couple of tries. The key, for me, is to have the top of the trifocal just below the line of sight. I mean "just" below. In that position the middle lens works great for the computer monitor and things farther away. It may take some experimentation with how tall the trifocal section is. Mine is maybe 1/4" tall (I can't see to measure it with out my glasses on).

I've had trifocals for about 10 years now. The sequence from mono focal lenses, through bi-focal, to tri-focal was only 5 years.

I can't see iron sights on a rifle anymore. Handguns are still usable because they are at arms length - and best outdoors in bright sunlight.

Fitch

Reply to
Fitch R. Williams

Hey Fitch,

Long time, no see. Hope all is well. There are some world famous shooters in your neck of the woods with the same problem. If seeing iron sights is something that you really miss, you can get a diopter lens to go in the upper, inner corner of your glasses. A bifocal "upside down" and "in", if you will. Not cheap but solves the problem. The last time I saw this advertised was in Precision Shooting, years ago.

regards,

Jim

Reply to
JK

All is indeed well. House is completed, we are moved in and settled. Shop is built, wired, painted on the inside, machinery is in it, but not yet organized and operational. The goal is to have it "project ready" by spring (the project list has been growing). I don't know if the CNC will be running by then, but everything else should be. It's insulated and heated so working out there in the winter is no problem.

I found the top of the benches yesterday. Cupboards are first, unpacking boxes second, getting machines operational is third.

I've met at least one of them. Ernie Cowan (I think), makes some gorgeous muzzle loaders. I see him at the club shooting them before shipping them out. He makes them all by hand. I'm hoping for an invite to his shop.

He also makes a reproduction of that air rifle that Lewis and Clark had one of. I'm hoping to see a demonstration of it some time. It runs from a reproduction of the original 800 psi air source if I understand correctly.

I'm good to go with presbyoptic prosthesis (scope) for rifle shooting. My .22-250 has a 6-24x40mmAO on it that works just fine.

Ernie uses a gadget that sticks to his glasses with a really small hole in it. He says it works great. I think Foreman has one. It would drive me nuts. I really admire the work he does with those muzzle loaders but don't particularly want to shoot one. They don't work nearly as well for ground hogs as my varmint rifles.

Fitch

Reply to
Fitch R. Williams

I'm glad to see you back too -- though I almost missed you, because I've been skipping this imported glasses thread.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thanks. It's good to be back.

Fitch

Reply to
Fitch R. Williams

Hey Fitch, and Thanks DoN,

Me too. I skipped reading about the glasses when it got too technical!! Maybe I shouldn't have, and might have seen Fitch's response sooner. Glad to see you can still type Fitch, and hope you'll hang around here a bit !! If it's toooo noisy for you, try modeleng-list.

Take care. Hi to you and the family.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

From me also. Good to see you with us again.

Regards Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Have you managed to make it to Cabin Fever or Iron Fever yet? They are in your state now. (And not too far from mine -- Virginia.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I made it to Cabin Fever once. Enjoyed it but darn near suffocated on the exhaust from all those little engines running. The air in the building was pretty bad, so I haven't been back.

Lot of nice work on display.

Fitch

Reply to
Fitch R. Williams

Brian,

Will do.

Thought about you and the fun day we had unloading the Logan CNC in CA while we were loading it up to travel to PA. I could have used your help again! I hauled it here on a custom pallet welded up out of 8" x

3" tube. The fork lift fitted in the tubes. It is still bolted to the pallet, I need to get it off this winter.

Good to see you are still here. Thanks for the Anilam Manual. I have it ready to use when I get the machine reconnected.

Fitch

Reply to
Fitch R. Williams

FWIW, at your next visit to the eye doc ask him to to test you for a contact perscription for long-distance in one eye and close-up in the other.

I asked my doc about it and he says some people like it and some don't. It works for me. I love the setup.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Yes -- that is a problem -- though for me, it seems that the asthma medication that I'm on keeps it from being as bad as it could be. Of course -- the Iron Fever has the benefit of being in warm weather, so it is possible to leave a lot more doors and windows open. Now -- if there were just enough extra windows. :-)

Of course, the running IC engines were only in one of the two sections -- but the good vendors were in both, so that is not the help that it could have been. :-)

Hmm ... was your visit the one where they were occasionally running the scale model of the Merlin engine -- with a real full-scale one resting in the lobby for comparison.

Amazing stuff, really.

We've missed the past three (IIRC) because of health problems (my wife's) and weather. Maybe we can make it to the next one.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols