Help getting started with BricxCC V3.3 with NXT

Ok, I downloaded and installed BricxCC V3.3. I tried the "remote access" functionality. I verified that using the "Direct Controller" I
can run the motors. Joystick again runs motors. "Brick Piano" causes notes to play on NXT.
I load and compile the 1_errors.ncq example, nothing. No indication anything has happened. I can not seem to compile or download any of the sample programs.
I looked into the folder and found nwc.exe (I found some discussion that a certain version was necessary) ran it and found it was version 3.1 r5
Anyone know what is wrong? Any hints?