25mm = 1" ?

Hi,

I recently purchased a new 'metric' bench mill/drilling machine. After using it (and things not coming out correct) I discovered that it had been fitted with imperial feed screws but with metric dials. On reporting this to the manufacturer they said all their machines had imperial feed screws and they just changed the dials. Being left rather speechless I rejected the machine and asked for my money back. A week or so later they appologised and said it was a mistake and they would replace the machine with metric feed screws.

2 months later (and many phone calls) a replacement arrived and they took the first machine away. On initial inspection of the x axis it had a metric dial and it moved the appropriate distance when turned. The next day I checked the Y axis an this was correct also. However to my surprise the Z axis (Quill) movement was fitted with an imperial dial. Checking its motion revealed it was an imperial feed screw. I then spoke to the manufacturer and was again informed they only supply machines with imperial feed screws and just change the dials.

Now the Z axis has divisions of 0.01mm or 0.0004" which ever dial is fitted, but it is still an imperial thread. The result would be, if fitted with a metric dial, turning the handle 50 times I would expect to move 25mm but will move 25.4mm. The manufactures specification says either metric or imperial dials, not a mixture of both.

So I now have a machine where the dials are correct for the feed screws fitted but it is neither a metric nor imperial machine but a bit of both.

The questions I ask the knowledgeable ones amongst you is

Is this normal practice?

Would you accept such a machine?

Viv

Reply to
Viv

Viv, Without being derogatory the import Mill / Drills are at the lower end of the scale as regards refinements. I'm afraid you will have to live with their shortcomings unless you adapt them to what you needed. Sorry if this sounds hard but they are built to a price and specification.

The X Y tables on milling machines can be made to read imperial or metric by the swapping over of the screws as you have found out. Now depending on model the Z axis is a different kettle of fish. If it's the micro mill type that does have a screw and graduated collar then swapping screws will again cure this. If its the larger model 20/30/40 type that uses a worm and wheel onto a rack on the quill then neither way is accurate. This is because the gear driving the quill is of a diametrical pitch gear standard and will not convert to a known measurement. Swapping over to a module gear will give a correct movement in metric but you will have to swop the gear and quill, and if they don't make a metric quill you are stuck.

A decent livable method would be to put a digital scale on the head similar to those 6" digital verniers. They can be got for just this purpose, they read vertical and can read imperial or metric at the touch of a switch.

If you are not happy with this machine and ask for your money back think about what you will get to replace it? At the price you have paid you have no choice.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Hello John,

I cannot reveal the the make of this machine pending posible further action. However I can say it cost £1948 inc Vat & PP, which for me is a high price and I thought I was getting a high specification, not 1.6% guaranteed inacuracy!

The Z feed screw is 0.2" pitch with a 10:1 gear system in the head to give one turn per 0.02" which can travel 12". For the metric machine they just change the handle and pretend 1 turn = 0.5mm rather than 0.508mm which it will actually do. So 600 turns should travel 300mm on the metric machine but will actually be 304mm, 4mm out, rather a lot in my mind. I was told they do not make a metric feed screw for the Z.

Yes I have considered this, but I more upset by being conned by a very well known make.

And that is my delemar :-(

Viv

Reply to
Viv

Price paid hardly matters on the issue of description.

However, reputation of premium maker might make it easier to obtain a satisfactory settlement.

Possibly, though there are reasonably grounds for rejection if you wanted a metric machine, ordered a metric machine and got an imperial-metric hybrid. You may wish to involve the local trading standards office if you wish to go down the "rejection" route. Unfortunately, as I understand things, at nearly £2000 it is outside the small claims court limits, so the final course of action if the supplier refuses to accept your views is through the normal courts, where only your lawyer will win. So, it might be sensible to seek a settlement without heading that way.

Sound advice, and I think that's where I'd head.

Use the weasel words "without prejudice" at the top of any offer of settlement on your side, such as suggesting that a metric readout, in the form of a DRO, would provide a suitable correction to the errors present on the machine. The wording reserves your rights if it comes to the worst and a legal battle. You don't want to give any suggestion of having "accepted" the machine (in the legal sense under the Sale of Goods Act) until you are happy with it.

You might also hint at something to restore some "good will" - might be result in a decent machine vice, or other accessory from the maker.

NC.

Reply to
NC

Viv,

For your £2K you should get a good workable machine correctly set up with dials that are consistant and match the screws on all axis with all three axis being the same.

I would tell them to take it away and refund your money if they cannot meet that (very basic) requirement. Then I would go to a second hand tool dealer and buy a used machine. £2K nowadays buys a Bridgeport in fair condition and if you settle for a Bridgeport clone you may even get one with DROs fitted.

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi

That was what I thought.

I would agree that I could have got a much larger machine for similar money but I have limited space and access, so what I thought would be a quality bench machine is what I went for.

Viv

Reply to
Viv

I think they upped the limit to £5000 for small claims. Very easy just get a Claim Form from your local County Court, and fill it in. Did this some years back with a couple of bounced cheques.

Google came up with this.

The court can deal with your case without holding a hearing. They will just consider your case "on paper". If the judge decides your case is suitable to be dealt with without a hearing they will tell you and your opponent.

Lionel

Reply to
Lionel

get a Claim Form from your local County Court,

In which case, that is the last line of defence. However, a mutually agreeable settlement between supplier and purchaser, even if this is rejection of goods and refund, is obviously better for all concerned.

I was thinking of £1000 limit, but that appears to be injury cases only.

Looks a good URL.

NC.

Reply to
NC

It seems very strange that if they have a metric Z dial that they do not make the other parts to go with it, have your suppliers made an error in saying it is not available ?

Would it be possible to make a new metric feed screw to the correct pitch, and then bush and re thread the nut to suit ?

-- Jonathan

Barnes's theorem; for every foolproof device there is a fool greater than the proof.

To reply remove AT

Reply to
Jonathan Barnes

Also put at the bottom:

Copy to: XXXXX Solicitors

or better still, actually copy the letter to your family/company solicitors with the name of the partner who deals with your matters, I find that does make a big difference.

Peter

Peter A Forbes