850C thermostat

I need to control an electric heater at 850 C - any ideas? Cheap preferred, a PID controller and a thermocouple would do it, but would be
too expensive.
-- Peter Fairbrother
Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Peter,
Have you looked on ebay for temperature controllers, there are a few going cheapish at the moment.

Peter,
Just composed a couple of paragraphs of how to measure the temperature, then realised that wasn't what you were really asking. Memo to self - don't forget exam technique!
In my lab days, a simple variac transformer or a mark-space timer, both with a rotary knob to control temperature, was invariably used to control the temperature of those flask heater thingies. You'd have to calibrate them, probably using a hand-held IR gun, or a K-type thermocouple.
David
--
David Littlewood

Peter Fairbrother wrote:

Peter,
I could loan you a CAL 3200 and 12" N type metal sheathed thermocouple if that is of any use. You would have to add a suitable SSR or relay for the load as it is only rated at 2A on the internal relay.