air/vacuum pump

I've been given a rotary air/vacuum pump, the type with the carbon vanes. It's unused but has been stored for the last 20 years. I've stripped the pump down but the four carbon vanes are stuck in their slots. Any advice? It's an oil-less pump so is it OK to use freeing oil and clean it up afterwards?

Thanks for any advice. Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard Evans

Should be OK to soak it in something like paraffin or diesel, just have to watch that the vanes are not attacked by anything in the way of solvents.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Richard

Whatever you use, make sure it has a high flash point or you dry it completely before use; these pumps run hot, possibly hot enough to ignite a nice fuel /air mixture inside the pump :-( Not many solvents dissolve graphite, so almost any penetrating lubricant should work without causing damage. Martin.

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

Thanks chaps, maybe end up with new vanes if unsuccessful. Richard

Reply to
Richard Evans

Concider too the possibility that what's gluing the vanes in place might be water soluble.

Scrim

Reply to
Scrim