Aluminium alloy machinability

Amazing results !

Some of you will have read my post and the follow ups on heat treating LM26 (85% Al, 10% Si, 2% Cu, 1% Mg) - well treatment finished and machining has begun. Magic, machines crisply with no galling. The contrast with the 'as cast' condition is truely amazing. Why haven't I done this before !!!!!

I suspect that the actual casting may turn out to be a waster as there is a bit too much shrinkage at one of the section transitions - but I'll finish it anyway as a test - there may be enough allowance to loose the fault.

Well worth the effort - the finish I'm getting surpases anything I've had previously with this material.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson