Atlas 10f - Project

Is anyone looking for a "project"? I have an Atlas 10f which is complete (without chucks but including changewheels) but needs some work (understatement) to return to a good workable condition. The bed etc seems fair but the headstock bearings have certainly seen better days. It is the Babbitt version that we discussed here:

I can't see me ever getting round to it, so would someone else like a

5" bench lathe with Power Cross Feed? If you are going to have a go the price is just what it costs for you to pick it up. It is located 15mins from junction 35 of the M4 and will fit in the boot of a small car.

Please don't bother if you only plan to break it up/sell it on E-Bay, I am quite capable of doing that myself thank you. However, if anyone is just starting or finds themselves a little short at the moment and wants an "informative" project that could end up with a usable machine let me know. Even better if you know someone (young or old) who wants to make a start and you can help guide them through the rebuild send me an e-mail. Usual first come first served rule and my only input is to be here for you to pick it up and point to which bench it is under. Wife has offered a cup of coffee or tea though to weary travellers.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

So, no prizes for figuring out what the "f" stands for then ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Very good Tony but it was f...ed with a small "f". To be boring I think the Atlas F-10 was the designation given when it acquired a power cross feed. Anyway, it is "free" to a good (or bad) home. :-)

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

I guess that FREE is too expensive then? Last call if anyone is interested in picking it up before it hits the skip next week; pity but it is not even worth driving it to the local scrap yard at current prices. I might have chucked it in the back of a scrap Vectra awaiting collection but I am certainly NOT paying what they just asked for to pick it up, I will have to wait for the council to get their free collection arranged. Must be a really bad "downturn" when you can't even give stuff away - at least I can enjoy the packet of biscuits the wife bought for the weary travellers. :-))

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

better

located

travellers.

current

awaiting

Put it on ebay starting at 99p with no reserve - someone may well appreciate it given a wider audience.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I'd have it in a flash if I didn't live at the wrong end of the M1 from it!

I don't suppose anyone is heading from that direction up to Yorkshire are they?

Reply to
bigegg

How much for the biscuits ??......

John s.

Reply to
John S

John, to you "my boy" they would have been free but sorry to say they have already gone - well my post was a couple of hours ago and dinner seemed a long way off then. Chocolate bickies do go off don't they? well at least that's what I told the wife. Still if you are ever down this way call in it would be a good excuse to buy another packet :-))

Regards

Stuffed of Wales

Reply to
jontom_1uk
24 Nov, 16:42, j> > > Is anyone looking for a "project"? I have an Atlas 10f which is

Andrew, I'm not a fan of ebay but a good point about a wider audience. If this reminder doesn't work perhaps I will put a note on John and Charles excellent site to see if someone wants to invest the petrol in picking it up.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

cover.http://www.workshop-projects.com-> Plans and free books - *Now with forum*- Hide quoted text -

Pity but I don't get north of Bristol much these days. It has been under the bench for so long that I guess if no one offers to pick it up I could hang on for a few weeks into the new year to see if anyone is passing in your direction. Might even be a good excuse to tell the wife why I just have to go to Harrogate next year :-))

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

rebuild

biscuits

audience.

Keith, I'm not a fan of our council dustmen but still use them !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Don't seem to get down that way and to add insult to injury for some inexplicable reason the rear springs on the Donald have poked thru the floor and hence failed it's test. As my tame MOT guy doesn't have a license to test class 7's I'm in the hands of strangers, anyway ten foot of 4 x 4 box with 3/8" wall thickness should prevent this happening again.

John S.

Reply to
John S

Well John that should certainly increase the "BLACK PUDDING " capacity by some margin. Having looked into the back of the Donald I can't think what would have caused that :-))))

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

That would be great if you could. I might even be able to collect sometime towards the end of january.

Reply to
bigegg

North of Bristol......are you mad? Anyway, I don't think it's there any more.

Reply to
Chris Edwards

easier way!"

Yes Chris you must travel more - there's quite a bit of country north of Bristol - you'll need your passport and Huskies though

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Me too, my father's got an incomplete and damaged one, but I'm about as far away horizontally as you are vertically, being in east Kent

Richard

Reply to
Richard Shute

Hi Chris, good to hear from you. Yes, I've seen that "documentary" I think it is about life north of Bristol - Survivors I think it is called - few people who all talk "funny like" and the government based in some ecology centre who go about shooting people, do nothing and talk all the time about needing to work together - no perhaps that was the news channel. :-)

Joking apart, I did manage Birmingham last week to get some computer parts but spent the first two hours sat on the M42 waiting for all the impoverished shoppers to get into the city. Traders up there seem related to the ones down here, all doom and gloom with "no money about" but prices still sky high and their car park full of Mercs and

4x4s. Merry Christmas as they used to say.

Best regards

Missplaced Englishman

Reply to
jontom_1uk

On or around Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:11:46 +0000, Chris Edwards enlightened us thusly:

what, Bristol? It was the other week when I went past it on the m5.

Reply to
Austin Shackles