metal stockist devon

Can anyone suggest a good metal stockist in the South Devon area. There are plenty of tool shops near to me, but so far I haven't located a really good supplier of materials. Any ideas?

cheerio, tim.

Reply to
tim

yes, what sorts of metals / quantities are you after?

Reply to
Guy Fawkes

The usual stuff associated with model engineering. Mild steel, brass and aluminium rounds and flats would cover most of my needs. I'm not after exotic materials of huge dimensions.

tim

Reply to
tim

There's a place at Cullompton, on a small industrial estate just off the M5 junction (north of the M5). Sorry, can't remember the name. It's mostly tools and surplus bits, not a big metals stockholder, and possibly a bit far east for you, but they're easy to find and do keep a range of bar stock in hobby sizes.

-adrian

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

My knowledge of Devon geography is limited, but I've had very good service from these guys:

They do a wide range of metals in "model engineering" quantities at prices which are not too bad for that market. Also have a fantastic range of nuts, bolts etc. Mainly mail order but I'm told you can call by appointment

Usual disclaimer

Reply to
Norman Billingham

In that case ring Calvin on plymufff 696707, he's plymouth metal centre, always best to ring because what you are after are offcuts and odds and ends, and what he has varies from day to day, pay cash.

always got alu, acetal and brass bits and pieces as well as full sheets and profiles. nice because you can go into the back and racks and bins and rummage around as much as you like

Calvin is cheapest and best source in the southwest for alu plate and profile, provided you go to him and pay cash, trust me on this. You

*will* want to buy me a pint...

Righton metals in saltash have everything you can shake a stick at, but they only deal in full sheets / lengths and are anything but cheap, but if you absolutely need perforated brass sheet or 100 mm hex bronze or just about anything else they are the ones, they will deliver, for a further fee.

Parkins steel in exeter is still expensive, but again they've got everything, whereas Dyfed don't always.

Apart from that you have to know your local area well, the days of gash cheap from the local turner are gone, unless you happen to know a particular local shop, and those quite frankly you don't share.

Apart from that it's all midlands.

HTH etc

Reply to
Guy Fawkes