Blacksmiths drills - any good ?

Hi,

I keep seeing sets of these (reduced shank drills) at very reasonable prices cf taper drills and I wondered if anyone here has any experience of them in a model engineering context ? One possible drawback that occurred to me is with a shank of around 12mm an eg 20mm drill is going to exert quite a large torque and might move in the chuck, is this a real problem ? I'm also interested to know what use they are actually intended for (yes I can already guess blacksmithing :-)

Thanks,

David

Reply to
mangled_us

We have a selection that we use here, we can drill paxolin or wood with the larger sizes, but the most useful ones are the 9/16" and 5/8" which can be used on steel with a decent pillar drill.

If the chuck is tightened securely there is no problem unless you are going mad, in which case the chuck or its mounting will suffer. Peter

Prepair Ltd