Tapping cast iron backplate question

Hi,

I need to tap a cast iron chuck backplate with M10 coarse threads and when I opened my box of taps I found I only had a bottoming type in M10x1.5. I tried this but it won't start and is basically powdering the edge of the 8.8mm hole. I'll have to go out and buy one so is it better to use a first (taper) or a second tap to start a M10x1.5 thread in CI ?

Also, has anyone here tried starting the hole off square by holding the tap in the chuck of a pillar drill ? Any comments on this idea ?

Thanks,

Davids

Reply to
mangled_us

Second will be fine. If I have to buy specials I only buy the second as they will usually do most jobs

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

In article , mangled snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes

I do this on a Fobco 1/2" - having removed the belt I hand-turn the pulley at the top of the quill and, once the tap starts to 'bite', I let it feed itself in at its own rate.

A word of warning though: check the pulley for sharp edges before taking too firm a grip - guess how I know :-(

Reply to
Bob Unitt

He may find that the drill chuck will not hold the tap firmly enough to drive it all the way through. It doesn't matter that much, since you only need to get the tap started straight.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Hve a look here

It's a home made tapping 'stand' made from a redundant pillar drill. This Japanese guy is quite an inspiration actually, loads of clever little home made projects made with a mini-lathe and a mill/drill on his home page.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Me too, but I find that when backing off (mild steel), particulary on M10 and M12 taps I can't get enough grip (tap turns in chuck, pulley slips on shaft, hand slips on pulley...) and end up with a pair of mole grips locked onto the shank of the tap to "help".

Holes end up tapped square though.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks to all for the answers, an HSS second tap from Chronos did the job fine. I found CI is nicer to tap than ms and the idea of turning the drill chuck via the pully works great. No cut hands either :-).

Thanks again,

David

Reply to
mangled_us