Air driven spindle

Some months ago there was an article in either MEW or ME (I think MEW) by a chap who was driving a fastish spindle off a vaccum cleaner for (I think) engraving.

Search as I may I cannot track down the article - can anyone out there point me to it.

Thanks,

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Peter Rawinson, about 4 or 5 issues ago [ from memory and we know what that's like ].

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

I haven't seen the article but I can imagine it could be made to spin rather quickly if you can get the right bearings. I have a little Desoutter pencil-type air die grinder (about 3/4" diameter body) which runs a spindle speed of 80,000rpm. Very fast but not huge amounts of torque on it obviously.

If you look here

PDf contains a nice cut-away illustration which could be used to reverse engineer a design.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Forgot to add that if you look on the Service & Parts section there are more PDF's with exploded drawings and part numbers for spares, so this may be a further source for parts and designs.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

I saw it, though I can't remember which magazine. It was around Christmas

2004 (anytime between Nov 2004 and Feb 2005). I know this because I had just been given a subscription to one of them for xmas.

Best regards, Dave Colliver.

- Local franchises available

Reply to
Dave

Richard bartlett, "DIY Air-turbines for PCBs, engraving and internal grinding etc. MEW number 103, Dec 2004/Jan 2005 pp42-45

Reply to
Adrian Godwin

Issue number 103, December 2004/January 2005, page 42

Regards, Ken Beardsell

Reply to
Ken & Chris Beardsell

Thanks to all who replied - got it now !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson