Brass piston in Drawn Gunmetal cylinder?

Is this OK for a low pressure steam engine?

Fabricated the set first and then thought about it!

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Im not an expert (pretty new to this myself), but AFAIK if the pisto

and cylinder are differing metals it should be ok. (awaits mor experienced (older ;) reply)

Dav

-- small.plane

----------------------------------------------------------------------- small.planes's Profile:

this thread:

small.planes

Hi Steve Yes brass piston and gunmetal cylinder will be fine.

Mike Cole

Reply to
Mike cole

Thanks - I'll press on (hopefully a better fit than that!).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

My only concern would be that brass tends to become brittle and degrade when in contact with steam - a mate of mine used to work on a preserved railway and told me of the problems they had with brass and steam. I don't know how serious a problem this would be on a model engine.

Cheers Alastair

Reply to
Alastair

The cap heads are 3mm to give a scale. Far too big! If this runs long enough for the brass to become brittle it would be fantastic!

Turned on my C6B, milled on my Warco Mill/Drill and brazed with my Bulldog torch. Not a casting in sight, only scrap out of the box. Flange PCD co-ordinates from excel. Well chuffed.

Steve

Reply to
Steve