brass springs

Does anyone have any input on just how to make a brass spring ??? I have a victorian lock which has levers with intergral springs all cut from 1 piece of what looks like standard brass. Anyway one is broken (after 160 years) and I have silver soldered a new piece onto it, but standard heating and quenching is not having the desired effect. I have taken a picture of an original spring and the repaired one so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Paul

Reply to
Paul A Prescott

Paul,

Heating and quenching brass anneals it (makes it soft) unlike carbon steel where it has the opposite effect.

The brass will 'work harden' - so if you lay it on a flat anvil (or back of vice or whatever) and lightly tap it all over with a ball of a small ball pein hammer it will harden up - with the small part you have there it may be easier to roll it with a big steel roller

Incidentally, some locks of that style have a nick cut in the brass and a steel leaf let in.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

had a special composition.

You could try copying the original by hand ( hammering the brass well before starting work on it).

Reply to
Neil Ellwood

Looking at the photo, I would say that your square joint where the base of the spring meets the main portion of the piece isn't going to work in your favour. The silver soldering shouldn't be a problem as it's not in a section that would be under much stress.

As you've already seen, heating and quenching isn't going to work on brass spring, and you'll need to work harden it. I find the best method is to use a burnisher ( any old bit of polished steel will do ) to stroke the tension back into the brass. Just lay the piece down on a hard, flat surface and rub the burnisher over the spring portion with a decent amount of pressure ( use a lube to make the job easier ). This process tend to distort the brass ( it will curl ), so you'll need to turn the piece over from time to time. You should also be able to burnish the upper edge of the spring.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Pinch her ass?? ;-)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

You owe me one credit at cleaning-beer-from-keyboards-r-us :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

LOL Reminds me of my school days ;-) Last time I did that though, I got a smack in the chops! GeoffH yesterday is the day you worried about, the day before

Reply to
GeoffH

In message , Paul A Prescott writes

It may look like brass but could it be PB?

Reply to
Mike H

The ball pein hammer idea worked a treat, thanks guys.

This design of springing is quite earlier than the added steel spring.

Paul

Reply to
Paul A Prescott

Paul,