Coolant identification

Amongst the boxes of stuff that came with my lathe was a container of 'liquid'.

I have no idea what it is and the previous owner is no longer with us. I have decanted it into a clear container and allowed it to settle. On measuring the layers it appears to comprise

10% light brown clear liquid

30% grey [ish] liquid

60%
Reply to
grumpyat

Amongst the boxes of stuff that came with my lathe was a container of 'liquid'.

I have no idea what it is and the previous owner is no longer with us. I have decanted it into a clear container and allowed it to settle. On measuring the layers it appears to comprise

10% light brown clear liquid

30% grey [ish] liquid

60%
Reply to
grumpyat

overall it smells of linseed oil.

Has anybody any clue as to what it is? what it can be used for? is it corrosive? recyclable etc etc etc?

Many thanks

Reply to
grumpyat

Sounds like very old grey paint that's separated out. Is the grey layer very viscous? Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

What you got 405 litres ? or just a small jar? For a large amount it might be worth finding out what it is. For a small jar then you will probably never be able to trust it so lob it at next door cat, it's not worth the hassle.

.
Reply to
John Stevenson

Maybe used paint brush cleaning solvent? I keep white spirit after cleaning brushes, to use again, it settles out in a similar form. It would need to be white paint in your case

Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

Whoops, classic schoolboy mistake! Didn't give all the information...sorry.

The important omission was that it was originally set up via a pipe and tap system to drip the fluid onto the cutting tool area. I only know this from seeing a photo of the set-up, so it must have been some sort of coolant / lubricant / cutting fluid sort of thing....IYSWIM

Thanks

Reply to
grumpyat

I would give it the heave-ho & use something that you know the origins of (eye of newt, ... etc.)

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Mmmmmmmmm

Coming to that conclusion myself. Previous owner was a meticulous sort of bloke, so it must have had a specific purpose.

Ah well, ta for the info / thoughts

Reply to
grumpyat

If your community has a local hazmat day where people take thei

unknowns then that would be a good time to get rid of it

-- macon

this thread:

macona