Custom sized reamer supplier

I need a couple of non standard reamers for making valve guides. 8.04mm and perhaps 8.05mm. Anyone know of a good supplier?

At a pinch I'll have to ream them out from 8mm with the T&J adjustable in the short term but the blades for that size are getting blunt and and new ones don't half cost a fortune. Anyone got a good source for those blades or had any luck resharpening them? I've tried brushing up the edges with an oilstone but it doesn't seem to achieve much.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

or

I had moderate sucess sharpening one (a T&J) with the smoothest of the set of 3 diamond files I bought at Harrogate last year.

One of the few exhibition specials that has lived up to its demo. Most such purchases end up neglected in the back of the drawer.

Reply to
Henry Springer

Did you just work on the leading tapered edge or all the way along the blades? I suspect it's just the front edge that is meant to do the cutting but I wasn't really thinking hard when I tried with an oilstone and I worked along the main parallel part of the blades so it's not surprising it did nothing. I may try again on the front corner and see if that achieves more.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

have you tried J&L, even if it isn't listed in the catalogue I've found them quite good at supplying "specials".

Regards

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Steele

I find it difficult to oilstone a narrow side to form a keen edge because its so easy to slighly round the face. A proper jig helps a lot but the most effective method I've found is to mount it in the surface grinder and take a fine skim with a freshly dressed 80 grit wheel - this produces a scary sharp edge!

A slightly related comment - are you really starting as large as 8.00 mm before reaming out to 8.05 mm ? Cuts as small as this usually blunt reamers fairly rapidly.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Dave, You asked this question a while ago. J&L do custom reamers off the shelf. You find the section on chucking reamers [ not got book in front of me ] and then order by part number then size as a suffix something like AAA 1234 804

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

You're right. Must be a year or so ago but I'd forgotten. I've been trying the J&L web site and it's doing my bloody head in. It takes forever to run each search and then when I click on a product to see more detail the bloody thing says 'no product with this id exists'.

So I figure maybe you need to register to see product details so I try that three times and it gets all the way through and then says ' error creating the organisation - contact CSR'

Effing thing. I give up.

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

Strange that, I was doing exactly the same thing and getting the same result. I wasn't looking for a reamer, just sine bar prices.

The catalogue is very good for an on-line system, but like so many others it is too clever for its own good in places. Full marks for the page thumbnails though, I did like that feature.

I picked up a new 200mm sine bar last week or so for quite a 'low amount', new in it's grease in wooden box, made by Pitter, advertised as a "Sign Bar" and nobody else seemed to pick it up! :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I don't blame you - stuff web sites for looking for products that are similar from the same company. RS is the same, looking for something like simple cable glands you can save quid's looking in the book. In the book you can get one for 59 pence but the web site takes you to a £1.80 version

Just found the J&L book search for RMG-00800 this will give you the 8.00 reamer, swop the last three digits to what you want 804 etc According to the book that band runs from 7.51 to 8.50 in 0.01 increments. Ask for the book it's 200% better than the web site.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

John Stevenson

J&L do a standard range of reamers on the 0.05mm incrememt range, i know the definitly do a 10.05Ø reamer and am pretty certain they have a range from 6Ø to 12Ø in 0.01mm incrememnts

HTH

Reply to
Tim Bird

J&L do at least offer the option of looking at the actual catalogue pages on line, that's OK if you've some idea of the page numbers. I was looking for prices for lathe chuck backplates, couldn't find anything with a search. That's because they're listed as Adapters, not backplates.

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

Machine reamers only cut on the front bevel, the lands on the body don't do any cutting.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

There was a firm near Crawley, Sussex, who would make anything you wanted, Drill Service (Horley) 23 Albert Road Horley Surrey RH6 7HR Tel: (01293 782522). ATB Chris.

Reply to
chris1.reader

Dave

Did you get my email about this? There are some 8.05 on ebay at the moment

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech

I did thanks Tim and emailed you back. It was 0.3173" (8.06mm) you notified me about but I saw he also had some 8.05mm carbide reamers on offer. I won them both :) My first Ebay buys although I've looked at things on it for years. Strange how such odd sizes come up for sale just when you need them.