cutting 11 tooth gear

hi chaps, I need to make a 4:1 gear ratio and for optimum space constraints would like to use a 11t/44t ratio (32DP). I'd like to be
cutting the gears using cutters from the Brown and sharp series. In this series the lowest size cuts a 12-13tooth gear. If I use this cutter to make an 11tooth gear what effect would this have? The application isn't necessarily strength related - smoothness is quite important. Any comments most welcome. John
mrjeckels wrote:

If a smooth drive is important but strength is not, why not use more smaller teeth?
--
Charles Lamont

simples really - I have 32DP cutters and would prefer not to have to buy extra tooling.
Some radio controlled model cars use 32DP spur and pinion gears,perhaps you could buy the sizes you want without having to cut them.
Alternative if you can fit 12/48 in your size constraints.. http://www.motionco.co.uk/spur-gears-32dp-gears-c-32_33_24.html
Allan
--
Allan Waterfall
On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:28:36 -0700 (PDT), mrjeckels

Using a 12-13 tooth cutter to cut 11T will result in the tooth being fatter than it should; having said that, you may get away with it by adjusting the meshing with the 44T wheel. Certainly worth a try. Alternatively, you could try the trick that I described in MEW a few issues back - see:
http://www.jeffree.co.uk/Pages/multi-tooth-gear-cutter.htm
Regards, Tony

I can hob one for you, but I think it would be better to up the DP if posible to raise the tooth count. Peter

thanks for all the advice, info and offers of help - I'm going to re- visit the design and stress the gear to see what the minimum tooth form is that I can get away with - if I have to get/ make some extra tooling then so be it.