cutting 11 tooth gear

hi chaps, I need to make a 4:1 gear ratio and for optimum space
constraints would like to use a 11t/44t ratio (32DP). I'd like to be
cutting the gears using cutters from the Brown and sharp series. In
this series the lowest size cuts a 12-13tooth gear. If I use this
cutter to make an 11tooth gear what effect would this have? The
application isn't necessarily strength related - smoothness is quite
important. Any comments most welcome. John
Reply to
mrjeckels
If a smooth drive is important but strength is not, why not use more smaller teeth?
Reply to
Charles Lamont
simples really - I have 32DP cutters and would prefer not to have to buy extra tooling.
Reply to
mrjeckels
Some radio controlled model cars use 32DP spur and pinion gears,perhaps you could buy the sizes you want without having to cut them.
Alternative if you can fit 12/48 in your size constraints..
Allan
Reply to
Allan Waterfall
Using a 12-13 tooth cutter to cut 11T will result in the tooth being fatter than it should; having said that, you may get away with it by adjusting the meshing with the 44T wheel. Certainly worth a try. Alternatively, you could try the trick that I described in MEW a few issues back - see:
Regards, Tony
Reply to
Tony Jeffree
I can hob one for you, but I think it would be better to up the DP if posible to raise the tooth count. Peter
Reply to
Drawfiler
thanks for all the advice, info and offers of help - I'm going to re- visit the design and stress the gear to see what the minimum tooth form is that I can get away with - if I have to get/ make some extra tooling then so be it.
Reply to
mrjeckels