Cutting threads in the hard stuff

I want to cut a ~m16 thread in some Rc 55 steel (the outside small end of a MT2/ER50 chuck adapter, needs screwholding in place in a rotary table with an MT2 hole, and a 12mm+ through hole in the chuck).

I have a minilathe, and wondered whether it might be possible to use some sort of grinding implement, like a toolpost grinder, to do this?

Any advice on methodology?

Also, any advice on cutting the 12mm+ through hole?

Thanks

Thanks,

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Prof Chaddock describes such a device for use on the Quorn T&C grinder in his book on building said machine. If I remember correctly he advocates dressing an angle grinder disk to the appropriate thread angle, and his device uses a 'master thread and follower' to advance axially along the target being cut.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

I made a Dremel holder for the small low-value lathe I use for grinding and polishing.and sharpening small cutters. Perhaps you could grind the threads with a Dremel cutoff wheel, dressing it closer and closer to the proper thread shape between cutting passes. A narrow undressed wheel might rough out most of the metal. Check it against a thread gauge to see how deep to cut. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins