OT: DeWalt cutting corners

I recently purchased DeWalt's mud mixer (DCD130). Need to remove the chuck. As with their DCD991/DCD996, the chuck has no reverse threaded screw, the chuck is pressed onto the spindle. So, after opening it up and seeing that the spindle could not be safely grasped from the inside, I put it back together and whipped out a MONSTER impact wrench. Chucked a 3/8" hex rod (straight Allen key) and went to it. Nothing happened except a lot of noise and the rod was mangled. At least it apparently didn't break up the gears like it did with one prior DeWalt DCD996, surprise.

The mud mixer drill (DCD130) is made in China. For some pathetically annoying reason, DeWalt or its Chinese associates designed it with threads in the plastic half of the drill case where the screws stick into, the through-hole side. Screw threads on both sides of the plastic casing makes the difficult task of properly threading plastic screws nearly IMPOSSIBLE. If the drill is opened up again, that side will be drilled out (duh).

So now what. I can try a thicker and stronger hex rod and find out whether the chuck is somehow permanently attached to the spindle, and watch the drill gears get destroyed and maybe a minor explosion. OR... DeWalt has a powerful angle grinder for a good price with two 60V batteries. I need the batteries, and the angle grinder would slice the stinking chuck off of the spindle.

Milwaukee has a roughly compatible "mud mixer", but it's not variable speed so it won't work for me.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

all of the good drill manufacturers use the taper/chuck combination for holding the chuck on . the way to remove a chuck is to use a set of chuck wedges . you can get them from Amazon among other sources . here's a how to guide

sierrafloors73

On some even the chuck wedges will make you sweat

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Doesn't look like there's any way to use wedges on the DeWalt DCD130 to remove the chuck. Definitely not on the DCD991/DCD996. It doesn't have the same exposed surfaces a drill press has. But I will keep that in mind.

Reply to
John Doe

Also... Apparently it's not just a press fit. It screws onto the spindle and then squeezes onto the narrow end part of the spindle. That's how it was done with the DCD 991/996. I took a chance and used the impact wrench to unscrew them. It broke up the gears. Then I made a tool to hold the spindle from the inside with the gears removed, so it wouldn't risk breaking up the gears. That works for the 991/996. Don't know if there is a way to do that with this 130. Looks like the spindle is connected to a large gear that heads out to the chuck.

I guess that's a neat way to stick the chuck on there without the expense of a reverse threaded screw. Screw the chuck on to the spindle threads and have the leading end of the spindle stick into a narrow hole in the chuck to lock it down. But how to get it off...

Reply to
John Doe

I would entertain maybe a fire wrench and a gear puller or drill the end of the shaft you can see. The shaft costs &15 or so.

Reply to
wws

I don't have any experience tearing down dealt stuff, but I found a terrible exploded diagram

Click the yellow View parts by Drawing tab to see the image. It's not really clear how the chuck #5 attaches to the output shaft #11.

This video may help though. Nose guy removes the chuck on a DCD996 after tearing the drill apart

Cydrome Leader

Thanks for the link.

Right there, after removing the gears from the gear case, before removing the spindle, is where I use a jig stuck into the empty gear case to hold the spindle on the 991/996...

That thing has worked twice, in combination with my monster impact wrench.

Reply to
John Doe

After watching the rest of the video... I'll try that next time. Will need a torch.

Reply to
John Doe

Could not find anyhing better. It seems like only Milwaukee publishes real parts lists and diagrams, and for stuff going back decades too.

Nice exploding battery pack. HP has some laptops where the battery puffs up so much the screws tear off the bottom metal cover.

Canadian? I don't see Roberson screws too often.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Nice exploding battery pack. HP has some laptops where the battery puffs up so much the screws tear off the bottom metal cover. ============================

The original battery pack in my refurbished 4G LTE Internet hotspot did that. I've been cycling the replacement between half and full charge.

Jim Wilkins

I've wondered why those sealed pouch type lithium batteries don't have vents or at least a some sort of pressure interrupter, like good motor run capacitors.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader