Sticky mag chuck ideas?

Hi all, I got ahold of a small PM mag chuck a while back that looks like it will go nicely with my T&C grinder. It works well, but the only problem with is that in it's previous life, it was used on a specialized machine that was used to grind shapes into ceramic parts if some sort. They used this gooey, sticky, pink grinding oil.The poor chuck sat soaked with the stuff for who knows how long, before I got it. It seems that enough of this stuff got into the chuck that the handle that activates the magnets is VERY difficult to turn.

The bottom of the chuck is stamped with warnings not to disassemble it, as that will ruin the magnets. So any ideas as to how to un-gum this thing? It has a plugged hole in the side for oiling, so I took that out and tried pouring some Kroil in it, plugging it back up, left it a few days (turning it over periodically)and drained the stuff out, repeat. Did not seem to help all that much.

Someone else here must have done this before, any wisdom?

Thanks, Al A.

Reply to
Al A.

Drop it into a 5 gallon can of kerosene or diesel fuel for a week.

Gunner

Gunner

Was it a water soluble cutting fluid? If so it won't dissolve with oil. Use hot water, hot as will run from the tap. Blow it out, WD40 the heck out of it, then use hot air to dry, more WD40, more hot air, then oil the heck out of it.

Any covers that can be removed for access to the innards, without having the magnets removed from their position?

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

BTDT. In fact I just brought home a surface grinder. It and the mag chuck have the same problem you mention.

It sometimes takes more than one treatment. I start with engine degreaser. I call it the purple stuff, cause its made by several outfits but always purple. Spray it on with a squirt bottle, soak, repeat. Then I use a hot pressure washer to blow it all off. For something small like you got, stick it in a laundry tub and go at it with a brush and soap. Dry it off right away. Spray on WD-40 or something to prevent rusting right after that.

This gets 99% plus of all crud. For the rest, go to a solvent. I see you already have two fellas recommending that.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Careful with the purple stuff, if it's the same stuff that the chain car parts places sell in gallons, it WILL eat aluminum and can mark up chrome plate. Great for degreasing non-metallic stuff, though.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

The way these work is the top is a bunch of steel and something non-magnetic like aluminum or nonmag-stainless laminations. Below that is a movable piece with alternating thin magnets and steel laminations. When the steel laminations of both parts line up, the chuck is "on". If there is a way to pull this magnet assembly out the side of the chuck, you can slide it out onto a keeper of ordinary steel while you work on it. Also, it may be possible that a non-magnetic bottom cover can be removed and replaced with steel, and that would then act as the magnet keeper. If there are removable covers, you should be able to take those off safely for access and inspection. You won't be able to separate the magnet from the chuck except by a sliding action, the attraction force is enormous.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Thanks for the replies, guys. Perhaps I just need to work at it a bit longer. There are no apparent plates that can be removed, with the exception of the one warning you not to remove it, which is on the bottom. I am not sure if the grinding stuff is water or oil based, good thought, I'll have to check into that.

I am hoping to get some time in on this this weekend, I'll let youu know how it works out.

-AL A.

Reply to
Al A.

Top is a "core" ( conducts magnetic flux) . Like the flat bar across a childs horseshoe M' . This core completes the mag "path"

If you use another piece of iron , on the bottom against the magnet , then apply a big pull .....

you will be able to take the pressure off , allowing slide to happen much easier ....

------------------------- Different width magnets are for smaller work . Say 1/4" and 3/8" alternating ... If same , then its for bigger work pieces ..

In some machining , they are the only way !

I want one , but HF looks bad ....

Reply to
werty

According to Al A. :

Can you scrape off some of it, and test it in different solvents? That could reduce the number of things which you will have to try on the final product.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols