Digital Callipers

Aldi will be selling digital callipers and other tool type stuff for about a week starting on the 22nd.

Precision digital calliper with LCD display for the professional user for measurement of internal and external dimensions and depths. ? Range 0-150mm/0.6 inch ? Internal and external measuring tips ? Stainless steel body ? Metric/imperial switch ? Depth measuring blade ? On/off, zero, inch/mm switch ? Screen size 28 x 11mm ? Resolution 0.01/0.0005 inch ? Includes wooden case and 1.5 volt battery.

Price £9.99

I have no idea how good this is but the computers they sell from time to time are of good spec and price.

Reply to
Roger Smith

im my experiance of "Cheap" verniers, its best to avoid them like the plague, you are much better off getting a mighty yo-yo (mitytoyo) from somewhere like J&L for about £45.... i got mine years ago, when they were still nealy £100 and its still going strong, i have seen colegues at work with cheepo ones haveing to replace then every year or so, it has to be a false economy... doesnt it?

Thaty said, i am a bit of a snob as far as tools go, my philosophy is, if i am going to buy it.. i will buy as close to the best as i can that way, i hope to only buy a tool once in my life time. because, if they are looked after they will certainly out last the owner.

Reply to
Tim Bird

When you get the Mitutoyo, get the dial-gauge version!

Reply to
Tim Christian

I think that for occasional use they would be fine, and I'd buy one if I didn't already have a Mitutoyo dial-gauge caliper on my desk.

Although we use a digital one at the factory, I still have a sneaking preference for the mechanical one, and will probably go for another like it when it falls off its perch.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I have both good ones and cheap ones here and can't see any difference between them. What you have to realise though is they are only good for about a thou and a half accurately and repeatable even the Mitutoyo ones. Forget the sales blurb about plus or minus 1/2 a thou. It all depends on how you hold them, how much pressure and how steady you are on the day.

I use these just for getting close or general work were a couple of thou doesn't matter. Accurate work such as bearing surfaces are always finished using a micrometer.

And as Boo said replacing cheap ones doesn't feel half as bad. The very first set I bought was a set of Max-Cal's because at that time the Mitutoyo's could measure in inches or metric but not swap between the two and the Max-Cal's could. These cost me £120 when a weekly wage was about £60.00, so two weeks wages. I did manage to keep them a long while before they died but a friend had a pair crushed in the traverse of a lathe when only a couple of weeks old - ouch.

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

Not really - if you factor in the possibility of dropping an expensive one and breaking it then cheap tools are like cheap cars : view them as disposable and use them till they're shagged out. Better than being precious about them IMO, and of course the cost savings mean you can afford a fuller set in the first place.

Just another viewpoint, I'm not trying to start WWIII here ;-)

Reply to
Boo

and i can see your point of view,

but surely, if you pay more you get more? as far as dropping a vernier goes.... that is sacralige, no matter what the cost is, i would look after a lesser cost tool in exactly the same way, they are after all, still precision instruments that need to be looked after to sty accurate.

i think we should agree to dissagree on this issue

Reply to
Tim Bird

(AFAIK - if they're the same as the Lidl ones of a few weeks back) They're the usual cheap "clone" of the Mitutoyo model. Typically retails in shops for £20-£30, so under £10 is a good UK price. The wooden case might be worth a tenner given what some places charge for that sort of thing :-).

Don't expect outstanding battery life from them. But, at the price, they're cheap enough to be useful when your best measuring equipment might otherwise suffer damage.

- Nigel

Reply to
NC

I've got a cheapo Rolston dial caliper that is accurate and reapeatable to half a thou at 3" (3" and 3.0005" test bars) which is more that my mates digital is. That won't event consistently see the half thou.

Reply to
Tim Christian

I used to have a 5mm per revolution mighty yo-yo dial vernier, it was very good, but when one of the aprentices descided to break it for me i was a little gutted, i looked and looked for a new 5mm per rev vernier, but for some reason mighty yo-yo were then only making 2mm per rev, which i found difficult to read and easy to make a mistake on, hense, i got the company to buy me a nice shiny new digital one, that was a good few years ago, and it still passes external calibration every year, with no problems.

to be honest i am not too sure about repeat-ability of the digi ones, i never use them for anything that close, anything that has to be closer than ±0.1 gets mic'd...... vern isnt the best thing to use all the time.

Reply to
Tim Bird

I've a Mit digital "vernier" and a Kennedy - for all intents and purposes they are identical apart from the name and price - good to 3 and a half decimals. They both read exactly the same anywhere across full scale. The cheap one has packed in several times due to be drowned in coolant - dried out it's back as good as new. If I want to be really finicky I get out the Browne and Sharpe "coolant proof" digital caliper

- good for 5 decimals.

In the real world the cheapo gets used 99.99% of the time!

Reply to
Steve Blackmore