[SOLVED] Dremel spindle thread size - Imperial or Metric?

Hi,

Does anyone have a Dremel multitool, and could they tell me the length/diameter/pitch of the spindle thread? It may be imperial as these things are American, and around 7mm/0.275" dia.

Reason is, I found a little dremel 3-pin chuck - just right for a high-speed drill, except the thread in the back is obscured by a central pin and not accessible to measure.

cheers Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

I haven't got an actual Dremel, but I have three dremel-type tools - the collet chucks on all three have M8 x 0.8 threads (even though the collets are not interchangeable - some are longer than others).

HTH

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

My RotoCraft tool has metric threads too. The tools don't fit my Dremel Professional. Nor does my metric thread pitch gauge. And I couldn't find my imperial gauge. Quick and dirty (calipers and counting) measurements of the Dremel spindle are:

OD 7.2mm (9/32"?) Pitch around 0.63mm (40tpi?) The spindle has just under 12mm threaded, and 2mm unthreaded (at the end you hold). With a Dremel chuck fully screwed on there is 2mm of thread still showing.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Auton

Thanks Tim, much appreciated. A bit more web searching in various (US) forums suggests most people clock it as .275" x 40tpi, so 9/32" (without clearance) seems very likely.

I'm not surprised oriental copy tools aren't interchangeable, they seem to prefer metric!

cheers Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

Workshop Practice Series No. 27 "Spndles" by Harprit Sandhu gives the following dimensions for the Dremel Thread - 0.277" x 40 TPI On pages 132/133 drawings for the spindle, collet & cap

Regards Brian

Reply to
brian