electronic handwheels

Who supplies electronic handwheels or kits or info to build one.

MB

-- malbenbu

----------------------------------------------------------------------- malbenbut's Profile:

this thread:

malbenbut

MBB, USDigital sells the rotary encoders and a nifty chip to allow a choice of dividing ratios. For the "feel" of stepping off increments, put a plastic 2-3" (50-100 mm)

100 tooth gear on the shaft and position the side of a 1/8" (3mm) dowel pin against the teeth just so there is a positive cogged rubbing. It helps if the interior of the gear is cut away to make it more flexible. The knob should be about 1.5 - 2" (40-100 mm) diameter. RichD

Reply to
RichD

I once saw a simple circuit in "Elector" magazine showing how to use an old stepper motor to work as an electronic handwheel. Turning the stepper by hand produces a pulses which are amplified and converted to a pulse stream. I always meant to build it an try it out but haven't got round to it yet. I should still have the magazine and could probably dig it out if you are interested. One good thing about it is that there is a built in detent function due to the poles in the motor.

Archie

Reply to
Archie